cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: An Italian is cooking me Sushi.

Welcome ElleBelle 

Very nice catch up Smiley Happy I hope that African refugees will feel a part of Australia too and I think that will take time but I hope so too. 

How does being embraced by other cultures and embracing different culture impacts on our well-being?

I think being around different cultures so much can make you realise that, essentially, people are all the same, in that we all generally want the same things (to be happy, to be loved, etc). That could help a lot in building a community where people aren't judged according to what/how they were born, but what they make of themselves during their life. 

I love that point, graphiqual - about how people are all the same and that we all want the same things. I totally agree and this is what I say to people when they are discriminating about anyone (not just cultural discrimination but discrimination in general).

I think being embraced and embracing different cultures is crucial to the wellbing of people in Australia. Discrimination and bullying can definitely exacerbate low self esteem and other mental health issues. I'm particularly worried about the impact on new refugees and asylum seekers....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Great thoughts guys. Smiley Happy

What we have been talking about links in really well with the next question...

What can we do to make other cultures feel welcome in Australia? 

Something that is really important to me is being a bystander. So if you witness someone being disrespectful about another culture or being discriminatory, take action! Talk to them! Or if it is in the form of bullying at school, work etc... Be a supportive bystander and help the person get the help they want and take the action they want to take (though don't make decisions for them or act on their behalf - ask what they want to happen)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I feel as though I'm still new to Australia and I am still learning a lot but one thing that I really did not like was because some people felt I was different the did tend to patronise me so what we can do is just respect and be understanding of different cultures because stereotyping really serves no purpose. 

For me, starting uni, I've come across a couple of international students, and they're generally not all that confident and don't talk very much because they think their English isn't very good... so I try to talk to them anyway lol. And ask them where they're from and how they're finding uni/Sydney, etc. 

I think if I was new to Australia from a different culture, I'd really like others to ask me about my culture so they can understand what is different for me. I think being educated on different cultures is SO important! Smiley Happy And I love that once we learn about other cultures we often adapt them into our lives as well! Smiley Happy

And just being friendly! Not treating them any differently! Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for your thoughts tonight guys! It has been a great discussion. Smiley Happy And we really valued all your insights. Smiley Happy

Summary for tonight:

Tonight we discussed that there are things that we love about our culture but there are also some things we dislike. It is important that our dislikes don't impact on how we treat other people of that culture though.

We also discussed what other cultures we have seen from travelling and what we like about multicultural societies. Some of us have travelled a lot and seen some amazingly different cultures. And we all think travelling would be pretty cool! Some things we like about other cultures include, food, traditions, history, landscape and the different sense of community.

Embracing and being exposed to new cultures is really positive for our wellbeing especially when it makes us more accepting of other people. If our culture is not embraced by others it can impact really negatively on our mental health (e.g. from the effects of bullying & discrimination).

Finally, we discussed what we can do to help other cultures feel more welcome in Australia. Some ideas included: not being a bystander when bullying occurs, not stereotyping, asking questions about their culture so we can understand better and just treating them the same as everyone else!

See you all next week! Smiley Happy