cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Back to skewl... to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool!

@Kirdybirdy I started a FB group as well.  It is a GOD SEND!  We can all freak out and sort through the crap together and whinge about how ridiculous everything is!  haha

@unrealreality wrote:

Like I said earlier, for me, the most stressful thing is having to put effort in, and receiving marks/feedback. Its terrifying, not knowing if what I have put so much into was what the marker wanted. If it isn't, it makes me feel horrible.

Feedback stresses me out too! I get sick with worry for weeks if I think I've failed something. My fear of failure is really high Smiley Sad. Got to get better at that this year because it is so counterproductive!

Highlighted

- What things stress you out the most at school, TAFE or Uni?

I stress myself out sometimes about falling behind, or about not doing things to other people's standard. I have very high standards of myself, which is difficult, because although I am good at a lot of things, I know I can't be the best at all of the things.

- What can you do to decrease your stress? 

Often I listen to music, meditate, dance around to shake off some stress, do some relaxation, have a bath, take a five minute break.

- Who can you talk to if things become too stressful?

I have some really great contacts at university so I tend to chat to this one lecturer who helps me out a lot, even if I'm not in her class. I also chat to my friends and family and I chat to myself too, which sounds strange, but I make sure my self talk is really positive and I give myself a lot of praise too.

Hey @_sagira_  Thanks for joining us tonight Smiley Happy

It certainly can be hard being in an environment when you don't know too many people and adding the stress of assessment and study can be bit pressure to deal with. Your so motivating!! to know you have so many great alternatives to destress is awesome!

" Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"

@dreamcatcher @unrealreality  you'll have to get me with the program, TurnItIn?

" Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"

@Kirdybirdy 

Turnitin is the system some universities use for the submission of assignments. When you submit, it tells you your originality, or plagiarism score. Typically, reference lists show up as plagiarism, as do common words and phrases. Also, it wouldn't be the first time that its messed up and not fully submitted a document, or messed other things up.

Overall, its a terrifying experience and I wouldnt wish it upon even a mortal enemy.

@Kirdybirdy haha...glad you find it motivating!!  It was also hard because I moved towns...two hours away.  So I was starting a new degree... costume designer to radiation therapy, moved out of home, was in a new city where I didn't know anyone, was starting at a new uni and it was just all very overwhelming.

Plus I was doing physics and I hadn't studied for 8 years since high school...so it was very HARD for me.  I've figured it out for the most part though,   I think...

I swear turnitin caused 80% of my university stress last year!

@Kirdybirdy  It's a plagiarism checker. One time I got a result of 21% and I was panicing and almost sobbing (I was quoting lyrics for a music essay, so I was obviously gonna get stuff picked up. haha). It's best to get 0%.

@florenceforever We have to hand in hard copies as well as sit our work to turnitin!  I forgot to actually submit it a few times.  That was stressful.  It's okay...all the lecturers know me well.  Smiley Tongue