cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Back to skewl... to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool!

@Jordo-RO wrote:

- What things stress you out the most at school, TAFE or Uni?

I stress myself out sometimes about falling behind, or about not doing things to other people's standard. I have very high standards of myself, which is difficult, because although I am good at a lot of things, I know I can't be the best at all of the things.

- What can you do to decrease your stress? 

Often I listen to music, meditate, dance around to shake off some stress, do some relaxation, have a bath, take a five minute break.

- Who can you talk to if things become too stressful?

I have some really great contacts at university so I tend to chat to this one lecturer who helps me out a lot, even if I'm not in her class. I also chat to my friends and family and I chat to myself too, which sounds strange, but I make sure my self talk is really positive and I give myself a lot of praise too.

@Kirdybirdy@ and @_sagira_ We have a facebook group for our cohort too - so helpful for information sharing and mutual-stressing, haha!

I have really high standards too, @Jordo-RO so having "positive self talk chats" to myself and is really useful for me too, to try and stop my perfectionism from derailing me.

@_sagira_  - I have to hand in hard copies too for some subjects - often printers will cause equal amount of stress as turnitin!

@_sagira_  oh the whinging is sometimes not the most productive part, but we all have that tendancy when it gets mid year and we all heightened by stress! Facebook Group for the win! Smiley Tongue

Well it certainly looks like you all have awesome ways to destressing when things get too tough or stressful! I know for certain when I'm too stressed, My organisational skills go out the window then the procrastination happens right before I have an assessment due!
We want to know... What's your best tip for staying organised?
Common guys, give us all your secrets Smiley Tongue

" Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"

Hey guys Smiley Happy Sorry I'm late, but glad to be here (finally)

Q1. we're wondering what's one awesome thing you did in the summer holidays?

I got my licence (It was holidays alreday for me Smiley Tongue) and started getting back into painting a bit more Smiley Happy

@Lightuptheworld ooh thats exciting! I also appiled and got into a course, but at TAFE Smiley Tongue

@dreamcatcher I also love that pic, how cool is it!? Although I've never done it, but I might do that if I struggle to get out of bed to get ready for TAFE classes Smiley Happy

Dancing in a supermarket is totally acceptable! Smiley Happy I've seen people do it, and might have done so myself.. haha

@delicatedreamer how was the Taylor Swift concert? Did you enjoy it?

Q2. What's one thing that makes going back to study good? Seeing friends? Stationary shopping?

This year it would be getting to meet a whole new bunch of people studying the same course as me, and getting to know them all! I know a couple and are familiar with a couple others. Smiley Very Happy

Feeling jealous of all those going stationary shopping! I didn't/don't get to  go sationary shopping this year as I have wayy too much stationary already, and literally don't need anything for my TAFE class!! Smiley Surprised 

Q3. What is your least favourite thing about going back?

My least favourite thing about starting TAFE this year, is not previously knowing everyone, and the awkwardness of the first day. But as time gets on I will feel more comfy with everyone Smiley Happy Also is the study load, the diploma level is said to get quite difficult and pressing. I'm a little concerned with how I'll cope with it, as not all the units are conpentcy based, a fair few ARE graded! Smiley Surprised

@delicatedreamer study stress is one thing I'm not looking forward to either!! good luck on your final year!!

Q4. We'd like to know what year you'll be going into and what you'll be studying????

I'm starting TAFE, doing Diploma Early Education & Care Smiley Happy In 6months I can be employed to work in a day care centre while finishing my degree Smiley Happy

Q5. 

School can be tough/stressful sometimes or sometimes our personal lives can impact our studying.

- What things stress you out the most at school, TAFE or Uni?
- What can you do to decrease your stress?

- Who can you talk to if things become too stressful?

I used to get stressed out a lot at school due to expectations (I'd put on myself), the workload and assessments.

I tried to decrease my stress with music, writting, a bit of meditation and trying to relax and focus on other things

There are a number of people you can talk to, family, friends, school/TAFE/Uni counsellors, KHL...

@Fozzie what is GAMSAT? I have heard of it, but have no clue what it is...

(Ah, that only took 45mins! oh dear....)

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice for staying organised, not after last year.

But I guess, just getting things done early so that there is plenty of time, and keeping on top of things. Also sleeping helps to stay organised, as it makes thinking and planning easier.

Oh, and diaries. One love for diaries/planners!

@_sagira_ Oh my goodness thats a huge change! Costume designer!! Good on you for striving for your next dream Smiley Happy
I think I'll forever be a country girl!!

@dreamcatcher Thanks for that!

" Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"

@_sagira_ I had something similiar. Submit an assignment through turnitin and then hand the hard copy with the originality report.

I stressed about not handing both the report and assignment on time because after the first time of submitting your assignment on turitin there is a 24 hour wait for your originality report.

What's your best tip for staying organised?

Everyone has sort of hated me my whole life.  I've always been organised.  I can't leave anything to the last minute.  Generally finishing things way in advance.  But uni hasn't allowed me to do that because it is so full on!!  I think that's what stresses me out...because I'm not as ahead as I want to be.

Basically I just start things straight away.   I work best in the evening, so I spend my mornings doing anything I want, like yoga, watching tv etc.  Then I start doing actual work about 2-4pm...sometimes later and work until 11pm-2am, depending on how I am feeling.  I have breaks in between.  This is the time where I can sit and focus and concentrate.

The secret...don't force it.  You can't possibly spend the whole day studying.  6 hours is HEAPS!!!  Work when it suits you.

What's your best tip for staying organised?

SO. MANY. LISTS!

I list everything I need to do, prioritise that list and work out realistically how much I can get done.

Then I schedule it, schedule breaks, schedule everything! Study, exercise, eating time, etc. Importantly though, I schedule social time and my 'lazy time'. I let myself be flexible too. I don't force myself to do something I really don't feel like I can do at the time.

It's often hard to stick to, and sometimes if I'm really down it doesn't work because I get overwhelmed by it. My friend once told me that even if I can cross just one thing off my list, even if it's the easiest thing, then it's better than doing nothing. I try and do that and feel so much better by being able to cross things off my list one by one.

@_sagira_  - I'm sure people haven't hated you! They've probably hated your motivation and organisation and gotten annoyed with themselves for leaving everything to the last minute!

I'm quite like you - very organised, always finishing things early, etc. I don't think it'll ever be a bad quality to have!