cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Back to skewl... to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool!

@Learn-to-fly too true!
I find starting the hardest part, but I ususally set my word limits for my assessments like 300 words a week to I ensure im convered. That way dont feel so pressured into starting so difficult

" Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"

@Kirdybirdy Yep, I'm sure the goals will appear, throughout the year Smiley Happy But I won't know until I get more into my course about the assessments ect.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Learn-to-fly wrote:
Motivation tip; it's very basic but it works for me, just get started. I find any effort is better than non and quite often starting is the hardest part

Yes...after abot 10 minutes it jjust becomes more natural.

@_sagira_  Good on you! That's an excellent step to take. I really should try it sometime, I am very guilty of getting mixed up in the comparing of marks :/ 

@dreamcatcher I actually lost a friend last year. She always asked my marks and when I told her, it would upset her because I usually got a slightly higher mark than her. Then when I decided to just say I was happy with my marks, she stopped talking to me. It feels like there is no pleasing some people. But as long as I am pleased with myself, then all is well.

This year I don't want to get caught up in my own head about my grades. I'm constantly putting myself down, saying that what I do isn't good enough. I never acknowledge my hard work or achievements. I just focus on my flaws.

Thanks for coming everyone! Great discussion tonight ! Here's a summary of what we chatted about! Smiley Happy

Wow, we did some awesome stuff in the school/uni break including travelling overseas without parent, going home to visit family and friends, going to the zoo, looked after puppies, got offers for uni and went to concerts among other stuff.

What do we love most about going back to school?  Stationary shopping, seeing friends, getting closer to finishing degrees, starting degrees, getting involved in projects, new textbook smell, stationary (haha Smiley Tongue)...

The pressure/stress, anxiety about doing well enough and getting everything done, having less time to play with, studying stats, worry about procrastinating too much, expensive textbooks are some our least favourite parts of going back to study.

We're studying all sorts of things including psychology, languages, sociology, occupational therapy, radiation therapy, behavioural science, primary education, early education and care. School can be tough/stressful sometimes or sometimes our personal lives can impact our studying. 
-We can get stressed out by deadlines, whether we'll get the marks we want, waiting for results, group assignments, struggling to learn new content, group assignments.
-To reduce our stress we do things such as use mindfulness or meditation, do yoga, start assessments early, retail therapy, listen to music, go for a walk or run, write, prioritise and plan your time and get rid of things if you can, talk to other students, craft, play with pets, dance.
-Who can you talk to if things become too stressful? Tutors, lecturers, teachers, Kids Help Line, psychologist or counsellor, friends, family, student support, lifeline.

Did someone say organised?! But, seriously, here's some of the ways you keep track of things: Make lists and stick to them, sleep (try to have routine), use a diary or calendar to keep track of everything, have a schedule, stay on top of your reading, keep memos/reminders on your phone, break big tasks up into smaller ones- more manageable that way, create/join a study group- can be a great way to keep each other accountable,.

Your number one motivation tips: Remember that it will end and one day it will all be worth it, use exercise and positive self talk to keep you energised, study with others, embrace learning new skills and those you already have, allow yourself to take breaks because that way you can come back with a fresh mind, look at the big picture...where will this lead.

Our study goals: study hard, use more positive self talk, find a balance and everything else, get the best marks possible, make the most of the experience- attend all classes, etc, finish degree, pass, not procrastinate, don't compare with others, just give things a try.

@florenceforever 

Unfortunately, I think that is something that we are all guilty of. 

@unrealreality wrote:

@dreamcatcher I actually lost a friend last year. She always asked my marks and when I told her, it would upset her because I usually got a slightly higher mark than her. Then when I decided to just say I was happy with my marks, she stopped talking to me. It feels like there is no pleasing some people. But as long as I am pleased with myself, then all is well.

Really?  Wow...that seems extreme.  At the end of the day it's personal information really and you don't need to indulge it to anyone if you don't want to.  I figure it's fine if people want to tell me their marks, but don't expect me to tell you...no matter how many times you ask.

Thankyou so much guys for joining @Jordo-RO , @Lightuptheworld   & myself tonight!!
 Its been awesome hearing all your tips, tricks, goals, worries and studies.

There is certainly motivating knowing your not the only one with similiar worries when it comes to studying again!
Reach for the stars guys! You all doing such a great job in all your fields of study and we look forward to hearing more about you all in our forums.

" Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"