cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Australia Day and Indigenous Australia

It's a significant date in Australia's history because it is when some awful stuff started happening to Indigenous people who were already occupying this land and calling it their home. Some people feel as if having a national public holiday - particularly one that celebrates Australia on this date is inappropriate.

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

It important to remember that we all view things differently so we may have varied opinions on this and thats ok 

Do you think changing the date of Australia Day is neccesary to help Indigenous Australians move forward from the trauma associated with this date and other events that occured after that? Why do you think this? 

Do you think changing the date of Australia Day is neccesary to help Indigenous Australians move forward from the trauma associated with this date and other events that occured after that? Why do you think this? 

I think it is necessary - changing the date would show that all Australians recognize and respect the wrongs of the past and are willing to help Indigenous Australians deal with that trauma.

I don't think its necessary but it would go a long way to show indigenous that Australia recognises, accepts and show how much we value them. We have a lot to answer for for what happened to them 

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Do you think changing the date of Australia Day is neccesary to help Indigenous Australians move forward from the trauma associated with this date and what occured? Why do you think this?

I think it is, I think Australia Day is an excellent thing, I love being a part of this country, but what reason does having it on Jan 26th serve? If we are going to have a national celebration of our country we can't be excluding so much of our population. It is a day of mourning for Indigenous Australians and that deserves to be respected. 

The JJJ hottest 100 is a popular event on Australia Day, they have decided that as of this year it will not be held on Jan 26th instead it will be on the 27th, do you know of any other events that have changed their date? 

Highlighted

The JJJ hottest 100 is a popular event on Australia Day, they have decided that as of this year it will not be held on Jan 26th instead it will be on the 27th, do you know of any other events that have changed their date? 

I know of a few councils that have decided not to run their fireworks or usual events such as live music, stalls, kids jumping castles etc. 

The JJJ hottest 100 is a popular event on Australia Day, they have decided that as of this year it will not be held on Jan 26th instead it will be on the 27th, do you know of any other events that have changed their date? 

Not that I know off the top of my head - it's cool that triple j are doing it though Smiley Happy

Is there anything else you think we could do in relation to Australia Day instead of changing the date? 

I think we should be having more conversations more often rather than just when significant dates come up