cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Australia Day and Indigenous Australia

there anything else you think we could do in relation to Australia Day instead of changing the date? 

I think there should be stuff to celebrate First Australians culture and stories and celebrate their current achievements too. 

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Is there anything else you think we could do in relation to Australia Day instead of changing the date? 

Hmm, maybe making the 26th a special recognition thing instead? I can't really think of any specifics but I'm sure there are lots of things that could happen. Anyone else got ideas?

there anything else you think we could do in relation to Australia Day instead of changing the date? 

I think there should be stuff to celebrate First Australians culture and stories and celebrate their current achievements too.  

===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

I think we should call it a night, thanks to everyone who came. I've got one last question for you all and this thread will stay open so you can have a think about it or if you are reading later feel free to add your comment in.

What do you think is the most important thing that all Australians can do to ensure better and fairer outcomes for Indigenous Australians? What is one thing we can do at a grassroots level and one thing you'd like to see changed through our political system? 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thanks to everyone who came and to @j95 for their awesome work running this GR. I Hope everyone has a great week!

What do you think is the most important thing that all Australians can do to ensure better and fairer outcomes for Indigenous Australians? What is one thing we can do at a grassroots level and one thing you'd like to see changed through our political system? 

I think organisations like Triple J moving their events is an incredible start. I think all Australians being open and non judgmental in their approach to the conversation will ensure fairer outcomes Heart

Amazing work! @j95 Amazing contributions Smiley Happy @roseisnotaplant

Sorry I couldn't make the chat last night! I enjoyed reading through all of your responses.

Australia Day is coming up on January 26th, do you have any plans?

No I don't celebrate Australia day

There is currently debate around the date of Australia Day being January 26th, do you know why this is? 

Everyone covered this well already but Jan 26th marks the day the British invaded Australia and 'claimed' the land despite Indigenous people inhabiting the land for thousands of years

Do you think changing the date of Australia Day is neccesary to help Indigenous Australians move forward from the trauma associated with this date and other events that occured after that? Why do you think this? 

Yes - it would be a step forward in showing Indigenous Australians that they are heard and the trauma that many experienced because of invasion are recognised. Totally agree with the answers you all wrote Smiley Happy

The JJJ hottest 100 is a popular event on Australia Day, they have decided that as of this year it will not be held on Jan 26th instead it will be on the 27th, do you know of any other events that have changed their date? 

I don't but hopefully more events will follow!

I'm sorry to have missed this chat! Just popping in to make a post because a friend showed me this song the other night and it's heart breaking but very powerful as well, it's about the high rates of Indigenous young people in prison and their mistreatment in the criminal justice system - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=imWGnlzLPiU