cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] #BIWEEK - Awareness, acceptance and visbility!

I also want to say that within my friends, we play on sterotypes pertaining to straight people a lot too. We have a running joke about the guys only being interested in football. none of them even support a team 

n the other hand, visibility can be as big of an issue as stereotyping. Have you ever had to face people who thought your sexuality ‘didn’t exist’? Or do you know someone who has faced this?
I have been told by people at my old church that gays don't exist and that they are evil.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@redhead thats awful! I can't believe people could still be so close minded -_-

On the other hand, visibility can be as big of an issue as stereotyping. Have you ever had to face people who thought your sexuality ‘didn’t exist’? Or do you know someone who has faced this?

Well personally, yes and no? People are aware of bisexuality, but are also super keen to tell me that I am 'confused' and will figure out which way I 'swing'. I think there are plenty of people whose sexualities aren't too well known - a past partner of mine identified as demisexual and hardly anyone we knew seemed to be aware of it. She would sometimes just identify as lesbian to avoid the inevitable 200 questions

Highlighted

On the other hand, visibility can be as big of an issue as stereotyping. Have you ever had to face people who thought your sexuality ‘didn’t exist’? Or do you know someone who has faced this?

Yeah, definitely! Not so much out of any kind of attempt to be mean or cruel, but rather that they their idea of sexuality was limited to "straight", "bisexual" or "homosexual". It was definitely a great experience explaining about the other types of sexuality that exist like pansexuality. 

@redhead what an awful thing to hear! I'm so sorry you had to hear that Smiley Sad

@safari93 people definitely like to question how valid bisexuality is, it can be really frustrating especially when it comes from people you would think would have more informed views :/

Hey @KitKat, glad you could make it! I've definitely experienced that before, people whose knowledge of LGBT stopped at the G

Hey @KitKat! Pansexual totally doesn't get the validation it deserves, so many people get it confused with bisexuality

I have met people who think some sexualities are a mental illness or some kind of deviant (bad or illegal) behaviour.

Unfortunately there's still some countries that have laws against some types of sexuality.

It can be really tough to face that. It's also sad that some people don't even recognises different types of sexuality let alone accept them.

Conversations like the one we're having here are what will help change that though!