cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] #BIWEEK - Awareness, acceptance and visbility!

@stonepixie OMG thats nuts! There is so much bigotry in academia, it's really disheartening as a student 

@stonepixie

Something that puzzles me is why people are more comfortable believing things that are that out there and weird and yet struggle to accept something that's common and happens all the time. In fact most mammal species have different types of sexuality as a natural normal thing. 

@stonepixie That really sucks that people give you that kind of response! Sometimes I think people can be a bit funny though and think that they're really "helping you" by making comments like that. It's like they think if they tell you things like that it will help you discover the "truth" about yourself. It can be hard, because they can mean well, it just doesn't always translate that way ): At the end of the day, what you see inside yourself is what is important - whether you chose to give yourself a label, attach yourself to a specific group, or whether you just want to go along being you by yourself.

Also, kudos for educating the head of psych! Opening someones mind is an amazing experience!

Do you think people’s understanding of sexuality is changing?

People are generally becoming a lot more aware of different sexualities than they used to be, as well as the fact that it's on a spectrum. I remember when I first came out the overall societal attitude towards bisexuality was a fair bit worse than it is now

Highlighted

I don't know if I can speak for everyone's views, but people are certainly talking about sexuality, and not just in terms of straight and gay anymore. There are still some old trends though, like celebrities publicly coming out after a while, but it's also kind of refreshing to see famous people not discuss their sexuality with the media and resist attempts by the media at stereotyping and pigeon-holing. It seems to be telling people that sexuality is not something that a person who identifies as LGBT is mandated to talk about with others whenever they get asked

@Ben-RO especially considering different sexualities happen in a bunch of different species, but humans are the only ones who discriminate because of it

yes, and I find it very positive the way younger generations are coming to understand sexuality of all forms and facets. A long road ahead, but I find the world a very innovative place, each generation more than the last

@Chessca_H I totally agree - I think people are becoming a lot more aware of the sexuality spectrum.

I think that for the most part (if not completely), all of these feelings and such have been inside us but it's only as we've grown to be more accepting as a society that we've been able to put words and names to things.

I think for a lot of people in Australia our understanding has changed a lot already. However like most change it starts in a few small places and then spreads out over time like ripples in a pond. 

Right now there's lots of small parts of our community that are aware and accepting and willing to learn what they don't know already. 

I think (and hope!) that over time those smaller parts will become bigger. Right now there's a long way to go even if there's some positives out there Smiley Happy

Yes! There is a lot more awareness, it is no longer criminalised.

There was research published not too long ago saying that the younger you are, the more likely you are to identify as sexually fluid. Or something like that. Something like they don't confine their sexuality to a specific identity.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ