cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] #BIWEEK - Awareness, acceptance and visbility!

Should I email the web story on the journal article to @Ben-RO when I find it?

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Have you ever opened up about your sexuality to someone else? How did it go? Or has someone else ever opened up about their sexuality to you?

Me, again. Hahaha. But you guys already know how it went from my previous answers. We also had ACON visit my TAFE class, which opened up a whole world to those who didn't know a thing about sexualities. They mainly spoke about what they did and then pretty much explained quite a few sexualities.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

A lot of different experiences of coming out! It's really such an individual experience to go through

Last question guys!

What advice do you have for people who want to be supportive of their loved ones’ sexual identity?

What advice do you have for people who want to be supportive of their loved ones’ sexual identity?

Read up about it and other identities. Ask some questions, but remember that they aren't necessarily going to have all the answers. Just accept them for who they are and don't try force them to be something they are not. But also, just because they have told you about their sexual identity, it doesn't mean that they are out of the closest, so don't be going around telling everyone.

Highlighted

If someone tells you that they identify as something, or they think they might identify as something, don't question it! None of this "Oh, do you think it's just a phase?" or "Maybe you're just confused" kind of stuff. It's their identity, it's them telling you how they identify, not you telling them how they identify. 

I think it's important to be somewhat casual about it - don't use the person's sexuality as your only reference point when being with them. They are a fully rounded person, after all. It also helps to learn a bit about how they identify and what that means for you - it also shows that you care enough about them to be sensitive to their needs

Just love them. ask them questions respectfully, and ask them where to find reliable information on their identity. Understand that it takes time and accept this. remember that they are who they have always been and that a challenge like this can possible offer a chance to renew and strengthen the relationship

• Don't be judgemental
  • Be supportive
  • Don't treat them differently
  • Be open about it
  • Don't shy away or lessen contact
  • Make sure they know you are there and that you're supporting them all the way

@Jaide897 wrote:

Just love them. 

Yes!!!!!!!

I would say dont feel too discouraged if you have had previous  less than favourable experiences. Because there a lots of people who are really accepting. For example in my retail store, everyone is so respectful of everyone elses sexuality, and no one judges or treats anyone differently. Theres no cliques based on differences everyone is just co-workers and friends. Really positive enviroment Smiley Happy