cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] Beards, tattoos, barbershops & craft beers

Pretty much @j95

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

I think it's time for the next question Smiley Happy

Have you ever been in a situation where you have felt the need to fit the social “mould”, or fit the stereotype, even when it isn’t necessarily how you would normally behave?
Highlighted

I work in a particularly "blokey" environment, and a lot of my friends are all of a similar nature, so I often find the pressure to "man it up" or be a bit more macho than I normally am. It's a difficult dilemma, because I enjoy spending time with them, but maybe I wouldn't fit in as well if I didn't play that character... I think I have started accepting who I really am though and my friendship circle is starting to reflect that too
Highlighted

that's great advice @stonepixie & @j95

I think that the only way we become comfortable with our emotions is by actually allow ourselves to experience them in an environment where we feel safe and accepted. 

@stonepixie that ssounds like a cool experience in your tafe class. I imagine it would've been pretty surprising since those kinda ice-breaker convos are usually really basic, small talk kinda stuff

Highlighted

Have you ever been in a situation where you have felt the need to fit the social “mould”, or fit the stereotype, even when it isn’t necessarily how you would normally behave?

ALL.THE.TIME.
Particularly in my workplace or around sporting clubs. I'm slowly getting better at not feeling the need to fit.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

@j95 it's a damn tough thing to push through! I'm working on it too but it's a long battle
Highlighted

@FItzChivalry We're in a similar boat then... working in the trades industry its sort of fit in or get lost
Highlighted

maybe not get lost but you'll be the bloke everyone takes the piss out of
Highlighted

Mostly when i'm with male friends, but almost every day to some small extent! For example, I sometimes feel like I need to act more manly and tough around my male friends. i even notice that sometimes the way I talk changes around them!

@j95 that's awesome that you're getting better at not feeling the need to 'fit in'. I imagine that it would be tough if you're working in a male dominated environment. 

Highlighted

@j95 unfortunately you're right Smiley Sad But we can be the driving forces of change in our own industries Smiley Very Happy