cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] Beards, tattoos, barbershops & craft beers

Have you ever been in a situation where you have felt the need to fit the social “mould”, or fit the stereotype, even when it isn’t necessarily how you would normally behave?

High school! Oh man that place was rough. Half the cohort thrived and the other half were squashed by it.

Highlighted

Have you ever been in a situation where you have felt the need to fit the social “mould”, or fit the stereotype, even when it isn’t necessarily how you would normally behave?

Can't say I have. Although if I am going to a real formal function, there is no way I would rock up without any makeup on!

I also fell guilty when I'm told that I am emasculating someone.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

@stonepixie I know what you mean about being "emasculating". I was just told I wasn't welcome on a trip with my friends because I am a girl and that would make them feel like they had to act different......
Highlighted

It didn't really shock the class, just the teachers. @benjamin_ But I thought it was really good as I was still trying to get over some triggers, so I was able to tell people that I found certain things quite triggering.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

@copse

Crap. I totally forgot about high school. If there's one place that I felt those pressures the most it was there! All of that stuff didn't seem to matter anywhere near as much once I went to uni! 

Highlighted

i remember earlier this year, word got out in my workplace of my mental health issues and that sometimes I self harm to cope... As a "joke" I was called a heap of names and made to feel pretty small because of it. I know its not any of my work friends nature to be like that, but its the gender stereotype thing happening, its not cool to be going through a difficult time. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

I wonder how many tradies just act all macho for the sake of the stereotype. @j95

Highlighted

@stonepixie I've often thought the same thing... I sometimes feel like everybody is putting on a mask and if everybody just took it off at the same time we would all be so much happier!
Highlighted

I'm sure you already know this @stonepixie, but it's not your problem if a dude feels emasculated by you - it's his! 

If we could all just be confident in comfortable with ourselves than this wouldn't be an issue. Hopefully this will change over time!

Highlighted

@j95 people use "jokes" to get away with a lot of things don't they. happens a lot with racism too I find, especially in this country. How do you deal with the jokes? (if you don't mind me asking)