cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Being single vs relationships:

As the dictionary best describes it, a relationship is a connection, association or an involvement with something else.

Now this seems fairly obvious to us all, as teens a relationship is often involvement with a partner that makes us feel wanted, loved and happy.

couple

Now, going a little deeper we may also have relationships with the things we associate with, such as food, Internet, sleeping, music, sport, art, or even a childhood blanket…

A little deeper and we find the relationship within our self. The connection between our physical and mental state. I think being young adults who are going through massive lifestyle changes; this relationship is the most challenging for us to cope with. Living in a world where we are expected to live like adults and treated like children can be hella confusing.

Relationships come in all forms; whether these are friendships, family bonds, professional relationships, and romantic ones too. There are so many different ways of building, maintaining, and improving our connections. It can be stressful and definitely leave a strain on how we feel about ourselves.

So before we go out and build relationships, it’s important we have our own healthy relationship with ourselves. Doing some self-care goes pretty far. Sure, that’s easier said than done. But we can work towards it.

Being a victim of bullying throughout primary school, building relationships with others and meeting new people had been always been a very nerve-wracking experience.Not being accepted or getting bullied by more people was always a fear at the back of my mind and this definitely contributed to my level of confidence.

What helped me gain some sort of boost to make friends was the positive relationship I had with being myself. Self-belief definitely let me be me and that helped with connecting with others.

Gradually meeting more and more people made me realize the many different types of people out there, and from this, I learned that compromise is important in maintaining a relationship. Whether it is with your family, friends, partner, teacher, pet, sibling or your boss! Compromise and a mutual understanding is what keeps a relationship going.

Sometimes, compromise doesn't always work and that's ok. Different people have different boundaries, and there are times when you can't always please everyone. Of course, with these things come honesty - being honest with your feelings and accepting that these things are happening. But there are many positive ways in dealing with them as they come along.

This is why self-love is so important. Magically getting into a relationship could help you discover the best parts of you. However, it can also lead to emotional dependence and feeling a tad lost. It may not help you resolve your own, personal issues. But with support, it could see you through some healthy coping methods and self-care. So, it’s good to have faith in yourself. In many ways, finding a new hobby, meeting new people, travelling, and having all sorts of new experiences shape us into who we are.

So healthy relationships with anyone stem from having a good relationship with you. Instead of trying to be the best you can be for another person and aiming to get along, try to be the best you can be for you.

famingle

**Whether you're single (and ready to mingle!), in a relationship, have some great or awful friendships or professional relationships,  - we want to hear from you! Join us to chat about self-love and relationships with others on Monday 9 February at 8pm, AEST! We'll be talking about how relationships - being in one or not - could help us find out who we are, and love who we've become Smiley Happy.***

Re: [CHAT] Being single vs relationships:

Sounds great, can't wait! Will be a little late tonight because I have footy training but I'll be there Smiley Happy
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hello everyone! :smileyvery-happy:

Welcome to tonight’s Getting Real session on relationships, particularly the special one with yourself. As we grow older, we tend to have so many different types of relationships with people - friends, family, colleagues, and romantic partners. It's all good and dandy, but sometimes we forgot about ourselves. How're are you looking out for your well-being? 

Tonight, our chat will be moderated by the wonderful @sunflowers5  , @Sophie-RO  and myself. We’d like to remind you to take a look at, and abide by the community guidelines too – just so we can keep this safe and awesome as possible. But, if at anytime, you feel that you need to talk, please check out emergency help

Rightio! Let’s get started.

1. What are some ways to improve the relationship with yourself?

Hello everybody! Great topic and something I have been struggling with for a long time myself Smiley Tongue

Through my experienec I think the best way to improve the relationship you have with yourself is to spend some time alone. Do things alone that you would normally do with others; travel, see a movie, go for a drive somewhere. Learn what it's like to be in your own company, and try and learn who you truly are. The more comfortable you are spending time alone with yourself, the more easy it becomes for others to be comfortable with you Smiley Happy

I reckon what's super important is being self-aware of our weaknesses and being open to suggestions. This doesn't mean that you have to do what people say; but be mindful of how we convey and express ourselves. At the end of the day, doing the stuff that we love doing is always awesome! Smiley Happy

Hey Everyone Smiley Happy

An important thing to do is always look forward. If we keep being harsh on ourselves for something stupid or embarrassing we have done.. we'll never be able to get over it and it'll keep bugging our self esteem!

Hey hey! Smiley Happy

What are some ways to improve the relationship with yourself?

Oooh good question! Very relevant for me right now. How about using some strategies to make your self-talk more positive/ realistic?

Hey everyone! Smiley Happy

Taking care of yourself and building up more self-awareness, be able to recognise your strengths and weaknesses and how you best cope with stress etc. Basically treating yourself with the same kind of care that you would treat someone you're in a relationship with.

Hey @FItzChivalry !

Thanks for joining our chat! Definitely agree on doing what you're comfy with. Although we all like to take risks every once and a while, feeling 'at home' with yourself is invaluable. 

Evening! First GR sesh in my new house! Smiley Happy

Spend some quality time with yourself. Get to know what relaxes you, what your interest are (it might surprise you), what ticks you off, such as pet peeves and just generally get to know yourself as a person for who you are and not what others want you to be,

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ