cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Body image & health at every size!

It is good that we all try to be healthy and key word there is TRY 

So, with the media constantly telling us what we should look like, how is it possible to challenge such a powerful institution? 

Salt is everywhere and often used as a preservative. Most people have a sodium intake well above the RDI.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

@florenceforever - Yeah it's great! It makes you feel very balanced and centred, and confident and strong.

ff my psychologist suggested that I should try yoga today. Hahaha.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

7. So, with the media constantly telling us what we should look like, how is it possible to challenge such a powerful institution

I've actually gotten really good at filtering it out. It's like I don't even take any notice of it anymore. I don't know how I managed to do it. Maybe I just got so used to seeing it everywhere that I became desensitised to it. 

It is hard though, the media is saturated with images of how we should loook

When I was younger I relied on my parents to protect me from the media. I wasnt allowed to read magazines or anything like that. I beleived that this was a mistake and that I should have explored the social media and made my own descision. it is only through trial and error and developing my beleifs am I able to maintain the understanding between fit and thin

So, with the media constantly telling us what we should look like, how is it possible to challenge such a powerful institution

I just stopped comparing myself, like if I see women on TV or mags I can appreciate their beauty and acknowledge it without saying man I wish I looked like that. I think we can live with media but we don't need to embody it in our lives. 

So, with the media constantly telling us what we should look like, how is it possible to challenge such a powerful institution

Together. 

It's easy to singularly filter past all the crap, but that doesn't stop it flying in faces of everyone else especially really impressionable kids. The media is such a large, rude entity that I don't think it can really be stopped - not without considerable challenges to it's authority/monopoly from those it feeds off (celebrities)

Also, foot traffic. Don't engage. Encourage others not to engage. If there's no market, they won't print it. That's probably the big one, more so than A listers denouncing it.

Welcome @Elsie

I agree with that, forming your own beliefs, what you will and wont stand for. That is so important to do.

Welcome Elsie Smiley Happy

It's definitely difficult. I guess you're parents were trying to protect you from the power that the media has on our lives. However learning how to deal with the information the media presents us is definitely an individual journey as we all go about it differently