cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Bullies in our Lives

Bullies suck. They can be found everywhere, in families, in schools, in work places and often they can be tricky to deal with. 

But there's always hope. There are plenty of strategies that you can try to help you deal with bullies including talking to other people, ignoring them, even more complicated ones like "fogging" or using humour. 

Mlp GIF

Join us this Monday 16th July at 7:30pm AEST for a chat about bullies and strategies for dealing with them. 

The chat  doesn't start until Monday, but if you're interested in a chat we have our slow-mo GR for NAIDOC Week happening right now, check it out here!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] Bullies in our Lives

Hello and welcome to tonight's chat! It's all about strategies for dealing with bullies and things we can do to help ourselves and others!

bearded dragons cat GIF 

If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone, about an issue then it's time to get some help! You can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here. If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Time for the first question! 

What is your understanding of bullying?

If you're interested, in joining us 

@DruidChild @Eagle @ErinsAntics @Furious @Jesssister2001 @Matty D @jess1600 @litgym @scared01 we'd love to have you Smiley Happy

@N1ghtW1ng This is a very important topic! I think we can all agree that we've all had an encounter with a bully atleast once in our lives. When I was bullied I was so upset and couldn't see the bright side. Now I can see that it's actually made me stronger and I can appreciate people who are nice and good to me Smiley Happy

I looked this up online to see what a possible definition would be. 

'The definition of bullying is when an individual or a group of people with more power, repeatedly and intentionally cause hurt or harm to another person or group of people who feel helpless to respond. Bullying can continue over time, is often hidden from adults, and will probably continue if no action is taken.' 

Well
I get bullied at school and have been bullied since kindergarten
My understanding of it is that people usually bully others because there is stuff going on in their lives or they don’t like themselves or they are angry at themselves or their family so the only way of dealing with it for them is to take out their hurt, anger, frustration and insecurities on other people so that they know they aren’t the only ones feeling bad or going through hard stuff.

@missephello! Smiley Very Happy This is definitely a super-important topic! Most bullying went over my head when I was in school, usually because I was either completely oblivious (and didn't care) or didn't understand their insults.

To answer the first question: What is your understanding of bullying?

@missep has a wonderful definition. Bullying is where people intentionally and repeatedly hurt another person for personal gain. The definition of hurt can be spread to emotional or physical or so on but the gist of it is the same. 

I think another important thing to understand is bullying isn't usually a once-off event, it's usually repeated. 

my understanding of bullying is when someone repeatedly keeps hurting you whether that physical, verbal, social or cyber. Almost always the bully is deliberately trying to hurt you because they have stuff going on at home or dealing with a lot so they want to be more “powerful” than you. Sometimes they could be jealous of you or what you have because maybe they don’t have that. Bullying is not okay and we all need try to put a stop to this because nobody deserves to be hurt Smiley Happy

That's a very mature way to look at things @Jesssister2001. It's so true that usually bullies have things going on in their lives and this is their way to 'take it out' on people.

Hello @Jesssister2001! Smiley Very Happy You posted while I was writing my reply Smiley Tongue
Getting bullied can be tough. But you're right when you say there's usually more under the surface, things going on in their lives or feeling angry. It's not an excuse, but it's a reason and it can help us to understand bullies better and help us deal with the situation.