cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Careers

Have you experienced unemployment or underemployment? Have any strategies helped you to cope with this situation?

Yes Both!
With Unemployment I knew the sole reason was because at the time I A) Didn't have any experience & B) Was studying Full time and couldn't work Full time.
I eventually found a retail manager willing to give me a go and I enjoyed it for my time there. At one point I was underemployed and simply did not have enough work to live off (eg the last 10 months!) I was continually looking for another job and I got one about 1.5-2 months ago.

I think in terms of strategies I kept telling myself that the right job would pop up, I just had to be patient. And to be honest it did. And I'm an an environment which caters to my physical limitations with my foot and mostly to my mental health.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Have you experienced unemployment or underemployment? Have any strategies helped you to cope with this situation?

No but I have seen people very pissed off about it while they've been doing shift work.  I reckon they should make it a bit more stable.

I mean not really, because I've never really been actively seeking employment. Also what's underemployment, is that where you're not getting enough hours or something?

I have been pretty dang luck in this sense and haven't experienced either! So i will read with great interest (and maybe recommend some services Smiley Tongue

I've pretty much constantly experienced one or the other since the age of 15 when I wanted to enter the workforce. It's really rough. What is job security...?!

I certainly wouldn't say I coped with it well haha. Some strategies I can suggest is trying not to blame yourself and trying to stay positive. Reminding yourself that you are not alone in this experience (although this might make you more sad/angry at times as you feel sorry for all the other people going through it), and to keep trying to look for work.

@roseisnotaplant underemployment is when you have a job but they don't give you enough hours - very common in casual employment. Employers like to have an army of reserves ready and waiting.

@Ben-ROwhat is your secret? Smiley Tongue Also v keen to know about these services

I've been pretty lucky that when I lost one of my jobs a few years ago I was able to get back into work pretty quickly and swiftly without having too many dramas. So I don't have to much to say on this but I'll read. I know most of my family is unemployed though
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Also With strategies for coping with under/unemployment, I was linked in with a job search agency and they were amazing with me (my mental health and my foot injury) and they were constantly helping me see the positive side that I still had lots of awesome qualities and that I was still an asset to a business.

I think if you aren't linked with a job search agency, talk to people around you - friends or family, sometimes another persons perspective can really help you feel better about the situation. And while it is stressful, try not to worry about it too much (I know it is so much easier said than done) But in my experience when you're stressed and feeling under the pump or overwhelmed you may not put your best foot forward which is what matters in the long rung Smiley Happy

Yes @Ben-RO REVEAL your secret. We're all itching to know Smiley Tongue

I have been both underemployed and unemployed. Neither are fun.

I remember when I first here for uni, I couldn't get a job because I already had one in my hometown. And now, I can't get a job because ... well ... I don't have one.

I guess I am lucky that I am with a DES whose number 1 priority is my wellbeing.

At first, it was hard getting knock back after knock back. But then I changed the way I judged my self-worth. It was no longer focused on how many interviews I land, but rather by how many jobs I managed to apply for and the progress I make on whatever crochet project I have going at a time.

So basically it came down to: Did I reach the goals my career pathway coach and I set for the fortnight? Did I reach my personal goals?

So whilst one needs a job, looking after your wellbeing is just as, if not, more important.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ