cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Coping with illness

It’s the middle of winter and that means a lot of us are sporting some kind of winter sickness, and being bombarded by television ads for cough mixture usually featuring some sad looking soul with a Rudolf red nose, a scary animated phlegm ball with a face, or that ever so annoying super mum who encourages us to ‘get on with the day’ even though we feel like death warmed up… shut up mum!

Most of us will get the dreaded cold or flu at least once this sickly season and even though they only last a few days normally they can still be a pretty rotten few days… If your lucky like me and have already had the flu this year they can easily turn into something worse like a chest infection, which I’m still carrying the remaining tell tale signs of… Aka coughing up disgusting phlegm balls at random… Mmm attractive! 

But what about illness that last for more than a few days? Dealing with a chronic illness like diabetes, epilepsy, asthma or chronic pain is difficult, and almost certainly means some major changes in your life. You can adjust to living with a chronic illness by getting good info, and talking to people - doctors, counsellors, or other people living with the illness.

Our health is our most important asset and there is lots we can do to best to take care of ourselves, but our mental health can take a hit when trying to manage an illness, even in the short term but getting informed and focusing on the things you can do (& are in control of) is the key!

This weeks get real session will be all about managing illness - we'll talk about coping with the winter sicknesses, and managing other health issues that might come up. But we'll also explore what happens when a chronic illness takes hold and how you can look after yourself or someone else if a friend or family member has something serious going on with their health.

So come join @Chessca_H  and myself at 8pm AEST on Monday for some support and good time!!! *Tissues provided 

In the meantime here's Jordan talking about how she dealt with her chronic illness

Re: [CHAT] Coping with illness

Hey everyone and welcome to tonight's GR session!

Tonight's chat is about coping with illness, whether that means feeling a bit rotten yourself, looking after someone close to you for a bit, or more long term issues.

Just keep in mind that we want this to be a safe and fun chat for everyone, so make sure you read up on and abide by the forum guidelines,

If you feel upset or uncomfortable by any of the posts on this thread, please check out the emergency help tab in the top right hand corner.

Now that that's all out of the way, lets get started!

Your first question for tonight: People handle getting/being sick pretty differently a lot of the time, how do you deal with it when it happens to you?

When i get sick with just a cold or flu im a total baby, i get man flu, i winge and cry and make people feed me haha. And call my mum alot, but i also have ongoing health issues with my stomach and when it comes to more serious issues i tend to be more resevered and deal with it on my own

People handle getting/being sick pretty differently a lot of the time, how do you deal with it when it happens to you?

I just spend a few days in bed til it passes. I try to self sooth and not get to down on myself for not doing anything.
I'm currently sick, so I'm skipping my usual weekly activities and gonna take a break til I'm better.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@SJG I'm definitely a bit dramatic when I get sick too, mainly I just want to rug up in bed for ages Smiley Tongue

Hey guys! Going with a different colour again because @SJG is running tonight with @Chessca_H. Cat Happy

People handle getting/being sick pretty differently a lot of the time, how do you deal with it when it happens to you?

It depends on what it is, but usually I wait a few days to see if it gets any worse/better. I also like to stay hydrated and nice and warm. I tend to sleep a lot when sick, which is quite the opposite to when I'm not sick. (Well that is physical sick)

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hey @SJG and @Chessca_H I'll apologise now if I have any overly emotional outbursts because I am watching Beast Wars, a show I haven't watched in awhile and it is beautiful and emotional... but yay! Glad I could make it. And hello to anyone who joins in while I'm writing this!

I usually grumble a lot and want to chop off whatever is causing me pain, usually my nose.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Good evening all Smiley Happy

I hate getting sick. It's a bit of anxiety trigger for me so I normally feel pretty stressed when I'm sick. I generally try to ignore it and push through even when I'm not feeling up to it and I usually feel guilty if I need to take time off.

Hey @redhead im glad you could join us again! That totally sucks you are sick Smiley Sad i was so sick recently so i feel your pain, sounds like you are doing the right thing though by resting up!!

Me too @redhead! I've got a pretty husky voice with a sore throat at the moment and I can't find my throat lozenges. Smiley Sad 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ