cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Coping with illness

Sickness (in both yourself and the people around you) can make you feel pretty down, so what do you think are the best ways to look after your mental health while coping with illness?

Ooh I really struggle with this so interested to see what others think. I think that keeping up self care strategies is the best way to look after mental health whilst coping with illness, but I'm not always very good at following through. I also need to try and stay in the moment and not let my mind run away with worries about why I'm sick and what it means because that has a lot of negative impacts on my mental health.

@redhead i think keeping up with social connections is so helpful when sick, im lucky to have nice friends that will look after me Smiley Happy

@redhead thats a really good point about getting in touch with friends, staying connected is so important!

I'm opposite @N1ghtW1ng and @SJG. I like to keep to myself when I am sick. I have thinner patience, so people get on my nerves pretty quickly. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@stonepixie It's good that you know what works for you, we all handle things in our own way Smiley Happy

@N1ghtW1ng yeah it is hard isnt it!! its so easy to go into gremlin mode when sick, but i like to keep the space around me clean and tidy and that seems to help me feel alot better. Also getting some fresh air and sunlight helps

Although, I am more susceptible to homesickness when I am sick. I guess what I really miss the most is having someone to cook for me and bring me water when I run out. My family learnt a long time ago not to annoy me when I am sick. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@stonepixie Yeah, I do prefer to be alone that way my parents can't judge me for pigging out on the couch.

@N1ghtW1ng I aslo prefer to be alone when I'm sick.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

So on the topic of having people around you when sick.. One of the best ways to look after yourself (for some people) while you’re sick is to have supportive and positive people around you, who is that for you?