cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Different abilities not disability!

@ruenhonx wrote:
Never thought of that as a disability @radio_RO can you explain that to me a bit more?
Well mental illness that has ongoing effects that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities fits the definition of disability. DIfferent to a temporary mental health problem/s that may be experienced following a stressful life event....  An example of how this works in practice, is that you may be eligible for the disability pension depending on your mental illness.

@ruenhonx definitely, I think educating people and getting the word out there is crucial! 

This is a great point @sunflowers5 , @radio_RO mentioned this too!

This brings me to another myth, that disabilities are obvious. 

Mental illnesses can sometimes be very difficult to perceive, yet they may be affecting a person in a powerful way. 

@radio_RO That makes sense, thanks for explaining that Smiley Happy

I think one of the biggest is that People with disabilities aren't interested in/cannot have sex which has huge impacts on peoples wellbeing over their lifetime.

Here's a mythbuster I got from http://www.yapa.org.au/openingdoors/disabilities/common_myths.php

"Adolescence is a time when young people develop an interest in sex and become more aware of their sexuality. This is normal for all young people, including young people with a disability. Many people (and some parents) treat young people with a disability like children, and are shocked when they are interested in or have a girlfriend or boyfriend. There is no reason why having a disability means that someone does not have an interest in relationships or sex!"

@radio_RO  wow! I had honestly never thought of that until you just mentioned it. That's a really good point because it stresses on the little significance we give to those struggling mentally. 

But then I think that may be because as individuals we find it harder to believe things when we can't see it. Which is really disappointing. I wonder how we can get around this, and provide more support for those delaing with mental issues. 

@radio_RO Ooo! Completely forgot about that one - that's pretty interesting. It can be perceived as a pretty controversial topic to talk about with some people who may not know much about disabilities. But it's definitely something to be talked about!

that's a massive one @radio_RO 

I think that stigma plays a big role here too. It's a shame that this is the case and I think more education and awareness regarding disabilities could help here.

Okay next question guys!

1. How can we combat these stereotypes in our everyday lives?

I think that everyone can contribute to tackling these stereotypes, and sometimes it's the small things that make a big difference! An example could be speaking up when negative words or phrases are used about disability.

Very controversial Myvo! Disability rights advocates are fighting for more open conversations about sexuality with people with disabilities
Highlighted

How can we combat these stereotypes in our everyday lives?

I think you need to first make sure you don't feed into those stereotypes.