cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Different abilities not disability!

@ruenhonx I agree that we need to speak up. I think we can all really help by being more aware of when these negative words or phrases are used and letting people know that it isn't okay. 

Highlighted

One way to make our communities more inclusive would be: Mixing of people from different backgrounds, opinions, race, well-being! It would be a first hand experience for everyone to understand others in a personal manner and it would definitely make a difference in creating more respect and less discriminating. I think because we live in a world where its so easy to communicate to others across the world it creates diversity but also conflict! And so, mixing around can't always lead to what we want it to... but it definitely has an impact by raising awareness and educating ourselves.

I found this!
Things everyone can do to help eliminate the barriers confronting people with disabilities:
Everyone can contribute to change. You can help remove barriers by:
Understanding the need for accessible parking and leaving it for those who need it
Encouraging participation of people with disabilities in community activities by using accessible meeting and event sites
Understanding children's curiosity about disabilities and people who have them
Advocating a barrier-free environment
Speaking up when negative words or phrases are used about disability
Writing producers and editors a note of support when they portray someone with a disability as a "regular person" in the media
Accepting people with disabilities as individuals capable of the same needs and feelings as yourself, and hiring qualified disabled persons whenever possible

http://eastersealscfc.tumblr.com/post/77707689184/myths-and-facts-about-people-with-disabilities

We have been pretty serious through-out this session so just a light hearted question Smiley Happy

Who are some role models you can think of when it comes to people with disabilities?

Also the "social model" approach to disability sees the ‘problem’ as society’s barriers, rather than a person’s condition. It asks instead: what are the ways that we can look beyond the individual person’s disability and instead to the relevant factors that affect their ability of every person to be a full and equal participant in society.

More info: http://www.pwd.org.au/student-section/the-social-model-of-disability.html

Who are some role models you can think of when it comes to people with disabilities?

My uncle! He's just a super cool and really smart dude. I've learned a lot from him and hope to have the kind of positive influence he has on other people!

Stephen Hawking! That man is a genius and definitely didn't let his disability stop him from reaching new heights.

Role models are important! I think in terms of physical disabilities, Adam Hills does a good job.

I also like Stella Young who is really brilliant http://stellayoung.com/

I love Tom Cruise he is one of the best actors and we share the same birthday and he has dyslexia 

Stevie Wonder is such an amazing singer and gets my hear every time and he is visually impaired 

Will Smith, I have no words but I love that man and he has ADHD 

@ruenhonx I love Stevie Wonder. He is an absolute genius with music his talent is out of this world.