cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Different abilities not disability!

Hey Smiley Happy

In the most simplistic way described, I think disability is change.
For those born with a disability, they may have a different lifestyle to everyone else.. or different way of thinking. Which creates a change in personality.
For those who are diagnosed within their lives.. it can bring in mental and/or physical changes.

Like Benjamin said, we all have differing abilities.. so no two people can be the same no matter how much we try to generalise. All disabilities are different because they are influenced by our own individual experiences, opinions and environment.

Do you or someone you know have a disability?

I used to know this guy from church who was in a wheelchair, he was so awesome and so full of life. He always used to talk openly about the struggles he had and how it made him stronger. Other than that I don't have anyone close to me with disabilities.  

welcome @sunflowers5 !

I think that you've described it beautifully. It really does involve a different way of thinking, which can filter through to further changes, whether they may be in personality of lifestyle. 

It's so true that no two people are the same in their abilities and our individual experiences and environment play a huge role!

Someone who was very close to me with a disability has to be my grandmother.
She was diagnosed with dementia in her late 60's and passed away just last year.
It had both negative and positive effects to it. I guess just appreciating and realising how important our memory is and unfortunately seeing her struggle with every day simple tasks and knowing she's going to forget who I am 5 minutes into the conversation was heart breaking.

I never looked at it that way @sunflowers5 and yes it is change because you have to adapt to society and to your situation too

Hey everyone! Smiley Happy

We've all got differing abilities, but how would you define disability? What are the different types?

Hm~I would define 'disability' as something that impairs or limits physical and mental functions. 

I am sorry for your loss @sunflowers5 it must have been extremely difficult seeing her struggle.

@ruenhonx how awesome is that. 

I think that's a great example of how people with disabilities can overcome barriers and remain strong through tough times. 

@sunflowers5 i'm so sorry to hear that. 

I can only imagine how heart breaking that must have been. 

2. Do you or someone you know have a disability?

Yup, I do know a few people that have a particular disability but they don't like to refer them as a disability as usually the word brings on stigma and discrimination from others Smiley Sad