cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Different abilities not disability!

Hey everyone! Smiley Happy

Do you or someone you know have a disability?

One of my best friends became vision impaired after an accident. She still manages to work and volunteer everyday which I find very inspiring Smiley Happy 

hey @Myvo  Smiley Happy

I agree with that definition and I know what you mean about the stigma! Sometimes I prefer not to describe it that way for that reason. 

thankyou @ruenhonx , it definitely was.

@benjamin_ I think if those with disabilities can overcome challenging barriers, life can become very pleasant and easy to adjust to. I think that's were self-talk is really important!

Remember that some mental illness can be a disability too... Like anxiety and mood disorders...

Hey @Myvo Smiley Happy I can understand that, so do they prefer nothing at all or do they use another term?

@Student94 welcome to our chat!

Sorry to hear about your best friend. It's grea tot hear that she still manages to work and volunteer. I can't say enough about how great volunteering is too. 

Aww man @Student94 that would be so difficult like that would change life drastically, but wow that is very inspiring that they still give back.

I think for any person the most comfortable situation would be to feel 'normal' or as if they 'belong' to the crowd. For that reason I would say maybe they'd prefer nothing ? and just to be treated with the same level of welcomeness (if that's a word).

That's an interesting point @radio_RO 

I often hear people associate "disability" with something physical

Never thought of that as a disability @radio_RO can you explain that to me a bit more?