cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Different abilities not disability!

It is awesome that we are all being open and sharing this tonight

What are some of the myths and misconceptions about people with disabilities?

@benjamin_ @ruenhonx Yup, definitely. I think that the people they know would rather have their disability acknowledged for what it is (i.e. the name of their condition) rather than refer it broadly as a 'disability'. That way, for them, it's removing that stigma and actually getting people to learn what it is. 

@radio_RO I've heard of that too! At uni, if you're struggling with mental illness and/or mental health issues, they'll usually register you as a student with a disability. 

@Myvo that I can understand, I would actually prefer that as well because by saying disability it sort of groups individuals together as the same. Almost very dismissive of individuality.

One misconception I see ALOT is that many people do not think mental illnesses are disabilities as earlier mentioned. And for this reason, a lot of households, schools etc tell the individual struggling that 'its nothing' and basically make them brush it off and not give it significance.
Personally, I think mental illnesses can be far more damaging than physical ones. And its really upsetting that they do not get acknowledged in many cases.

There are so many @ruenhonx 

I think two of the big ones are that people with disabiilties are helpless. 

I think it's wrong to assume that all people disabilities need help. Many people want to be independent and take control over their own life. 

Personally, my uncle has plenty of support available for him from my family if he needs it, but he is incredibly independent and I think that we really need to respect people's independence, regardless of whether they have a disability or not!

One of the biggest misconceptions my friend faced about her disability was that it destroyed her life and she feels inadequate because of it. She's shown that it has only empowered her more because she now knows how much her body and mind can handle. Given this confidence, she can handle stresses in life much better than she used to and can solve problems quicker.

Some rather hectic, strange, and horrible myths and misconceptions about people with disabilities that I've come across are: 

• People usually think 'disability' refers to only physical disabilities
  • That people with disabilities are severely impaired and can't do anything at all 
  • That they're usually in wheelchairs (which is not true!)
  • That they have severe behavioural issues and problems

I guess @sunflowers5 its the lack of knowledge and education around it, like I didn't know that and really everyone should be having these conversations to make people aware.

@sunflowers5 Definitely! Just because it can't be seen, it doesn't mean that it's not a disability!