cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Different abilities not disability!

One thing we can all do is top using the word "retarded" to describe something that's negative....

retard

1. How can we combat these stereotypes in our everyday lives?

Having discussions like these with other people, actually talking about it and not pushing things under the rug. Learning about the different types of disabilities is sooo important as well. 

How can we combat these stereotypes in our everyday lives?

We can combat stereotypes by asking ourselved why we have them in the first place and finding out information. It's like a research challenge! These could be finding out about an organisation that helps people with disabilities in your community, reading up on information from your university's student services or a student society/faculty, talking to someone who has a disability and gaining a new perspective, volunteering your time to an organisation, and doing some mythbusting (i.e. what words/phrases/terms are or aren't ok). 

Oh and speaking up when negative words or phrases are used about disability

@benjamin_ That's a good one! I think speaking up in day to day conversations and really making people aware can spread the word and have a huge impact!

Something else would involve Respect. Once we stop discriminating others based on whatever differences they have (in this case their disability) and respect that everyone is different.. it can really help those with a disability to feel more comfortable and confident!

I love that chart @radio_RO 

@ruenhonx these discussions definitely help raise awareness, to learn more and understand disabilities better which can all help combat stereotypes. 

@Myvo I agree that it's great to do a little research! Sometimes it really does just come to a lack of awareness and actively seeking our more information could definitely change one's perspective on disabilities. 

definitely @sunflowers5 

Respect is huge. We need to respect that everybody has different abilities and there's nothing wrong with that at all! 

We are half way there guys. This is some really quality conversation tonight Smiley Happy 

Can you think of some challenges that people with disabilities overcome?

Can you think of some challenges that people with disabilities overcome?

One thing I can think of is overcoming the challenges associated with impaired mobility. For example, if a person's mobility became impaired later on in life they would need to navigate the world in a different way which might take some time to get used to, while still maintaining their own independence. 

Biggest thing to overcome, is to be seen and then treated differently...