cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Different together: diversity

What are your tips for if one someone challenges your assumptions or when you challenge others?

I think that while it's easy/justifiable to get really angry with someone when they use tired stereotypes against you, the best way to educate them to make a better choice in future is to call them out on it in a calm, measured way where you explain to them why what they're saying is harmful.

Within means of course, not having to educate every person all the time with some huge length answer!

@redhead so true! Just be who you are!
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

Personally, I think that it's important to listen to both sides of the coin - even if you disagree with the other person's view. If someone says that what you did/said was racist/sexist/generally horrible, listen! It's all about enforcing your argument and structuring it, not shouting someone down. It's also beneficial to remain calm, even if it does become maddening. You may end up schooling someone and changing their perspective!

@Elsie LOVE that TED talk! Her perspective on mental illness is so insightful and refreshing

Thanks for sharing the TED talk @Elsie

What are your tips for if one someone challenges your assumptions or when you challenge others?

Generally I just back down and walk away. I have not yet seen the point of trying to make an argument because everyone else is just that bit better at it than me 

Talking about a stereotype or assumption someone makes can be confronting, but it’s an important conversation to have. What are your tips for if one someone challenges your assumptions or when you challenge others :smileytongue:?

Back when I was uneduated about global issues / held conservative views for quite a few things, a friend at the time took me aside to discuss with me said issue and helped to educate me about it. I think that was my turning point and now people can't believe that I am progressive, especially for someone who grew up in my home town.

From that, I learnt that it is always good to take someone aside so as not to make a scene / embarass them.

But at the end of the day, I guess it depends on what kind of relationship you have with that person.

I know that I challenged a lot of peoples views about mental health over the past year and a half. But of course there are thoses that won't change their view no matter what is said, those people are definitely no longer in my life.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Loving all the different views you all have!

Some of these misconceptions can be horrible and hurtful. How can you look after yourself and others when this happens?

Some of these misconceptions can be horrible and hurtful. How can you look after yourself and others when this happens?

Remind myself that if its a personal attack on me or my culture I know the truth and if people want to find ways to twist the truth and have false assumptions, so be it but I know what's right
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//