cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Different together: diversity

Its just a funny way of seeing mental illness as not so debilitating

I guess that I have kind of already answered that, but like @redhead said, I kind of self soothe as well.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@Myvo they can be 😔
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Another one is for me - people who think I'm not sick and that I'm just faking it because you can't see that I'm not well?? Anyone else get me??
I don't have to have plaster or be on crutches to be sick!

"You don't look unwell" "didn't know you could see mental illness, that would make diagnoses pretty easy hey"

Here we go!

7. You may come across a situation where you are unfamiliar about a person’s background but wanted to learn more about them. How would you handle it?

Be respectful, considerate, and get your hearing ears on! Treat them like every other person and be open-minded to learning. What we may consider innocent questions can actually be quite offensive. 

Unfortunately there are people like that @j95. I'm lucky not to have known if I've come across them or not.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@j95 Looks like that TED talk is getting you pretty fired up and passionate about educating others on mental illness! 
YES, so many people can be quick to judge your cover. 

You may come across a situation where you are unfamiliar about a person’s background but wanted to learn more about them. How would you handle it?

A helpful way of thinking about it is using the old "how would you feel if it were you" idea. Think about what you want to ask and then think about whether you would feel okay with someone asking you the same thing. It's all about perspective.

Highlighted

Yeah I get it. when I was at school my teachers were told about my mental illness and I swear they would sit and wait for me to start fights or see if my head exploded. It was annoying. Just because others had done it in the past all of a sudden I was hard to handle.