cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Different together: diversity

Every family has their own way of defining what’s normal. In my family, normal just so happened to mean tagging along with mum to four pride parades before the age of ten. As a little kid, it never really occurred to me that anyone would find anything about my family to be abnormal. Having a mum who identified as a lesbian was basically all I’d ever known, why would I think we were anything but just a regular family?

bf

The way we think about diversity as a society depends a lot on the idea of what’s normal, but how do we define it? What does it mean for those of us that fall outside of that definition? It can be really difficult to exist in a world that finds you different, whether it’s because of you sexuality, gender, race, religion or ability level. Sometimes people can be not so nice when faced with people who are different from them, people from diverse backgrounds are often stereotyped and talked down to. Sometimes people can mean well, but still miss the mark when it comes to treating people with the respect they deserve.

bf2

So what can we do to give people who might be a little different an easier time of it? Making an effort to learn about people who are different from you is one pretty great way of showing respect to the diverse backgrounds of the people you meet. Of course, we need to remember that while learning about the differences of others is awesome, treating them like your personal information centre on the topic… Not so awesome.

bf3

I think the biggest part of accepting difference in others is learning that being different from one another isn’t a bad thing. Diversity is something that should not be tolerated but celebrated, and especially not hidden away. The world is made up of all kinds of different people and I think that’s one of the things that make people pretty freaking amazing.

b4

So come and join @Myvo and I on Monday the 18th at 8pm AEST, where we’re going to be talking about all of the wonderful ways we’re different and how we can celebrate that!

Re: [CHAT] Different together: diversity

Hello everyone! Smiley Very Happy

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real sesh on being different and celebrating diversity! Regardless of where you're from, what you look like, who you love, whether you eat Nutella out of the jar or not, what clothes you like wearing, and whether you follow a particular faith, it's all about respecting and celebrating what makes us unique.

What's super important to us on R.O is your safety and well-being! So, don't forget to check out the community guidelines and that if you feel that you're struggling and want to chat to someone, check out emergency help.

Let's get started!

To kick our convo off, here's our first question:

1. We’re all different in our own unique way! What makes you proud about who you are?

Hey everyone, so looking forward to tonight's session!

I'd say that what makes me proud is the kinder sides of the family tree, and how resilience and adventure is a part of who I am Smiley Tongue I'm also proud of my curiosity to try new things and that over the years - despite many struggles - I get to learn more about myself everyday. 

What a tricky question! I guess rather than my attributes (in terms of gender, cultural background etc.) I focus more on my qualities- like I am proud that I am a reasonably hard working, compassionate, resilent and open-minded person. Not sure if that's a bit off-topic or not but there you go!

We’re all different in our own unique way! What makes you proud about who you are?

I'm proud to know that I come from a background of people who have incedibly rich experiences and culture, I think it plays a big part in what I value personally Smiley Happy

@Chessca_H Couldn't agree more! Smiley Very Happy

1. We’re all different in our own unique way! What makes you proud about who you are?

All the different cultures that make up who I am and my unique way of thinking about things. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Welcome welcome @Cheeselover85!

Not at all! Being proud of ourselves comes in many forms - not just one! It's all about what's on the inside that counts Heart

Hey @stonepixie! Welcome to our chat Smiley Very Happy

Love that you're loving all the different cultures that make up a part of your identity! Now, that's a great way of thinking Smiley Wink