cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Discussing mental health with your family

And I have two cats who some of you have met and two fish Smiley Happy

I'm temporarily logging off but I'll be back soon - time to make a cup of tea, which I should have done before! 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

No Worries @letitgo, see you soon!

Hey @FootyFan26 i think it's great that even though you're different, you, your mum and bro do something together. I think even though members of a family dont always understand each other, things like that can be really nice. I totally relate to what you said about it depending on whether people are in a good mood. It can be tough to navigate sometimes.

@letitgo tea breaks are a must Smiley Tongue

Time for another Q methinks

Is mental health something you feel like you can talk about with your family? Why or why not?

Q. Is mental health something you feel like you can talk about with your family? Why or why not?
My family know coz mine is pretty obvious, but I don't like talking to them about it. I especially don't want my dad to worry. His sister committed suicide and I'm too scared to tell him he's nearly lost me a few times too.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Mental health is a very difficult topic to talk about with my family, mainly because in China the concept of mental health isn't even really a thing, let alone things like depression, anxiety etc. 

With my mom in particular I'm very lucky because she's supported me ever since I got my first depressive episode when I was 16. I've had a lot of people treat me in shitty ways because of my mental illness but she's never done that even though I know she struggles with understanding it at times. But breaking it to her when I was getting sick for the first time was really hard, and I kept it hidden for so long my illness got pretty bad before I got treatment

Is mental health something you feel like you can talk about with your family? Why or why not?

I am really lucky in that I can talk somewhat openly with my family when I want to. However I do worry about making them worried/putting burden onto them when I do share. Also although they care some don't respond too well - which can make me feel worse. So it's tricky in that regard. Overall they have been really supportive, but of course sometimes it is hard for people to understand things that they haven't experienced.

I feel like I can talk about it - both my parents have a history of mental illness and they're open about it. I don't really like talking about myself though. I probably should.

Nope, or not when i was younger anyway. I didn't have a name for what i was going through until many years later. And you can't really talk about something you don't have a name for. These days i know a fair bit more and can talk about it although they still don't talk much. Which is kinda annoying considering i'm all about talking about mental health these days!