cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Discussing mental health with your family

@DirtWitch @May_ @roseisnotaplant I'm glad you feel like you have a supportive family.

I can relate not wanting to burden them. It's a hard thought to deal with
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

I'm seeing some common themes with everyone's answers about how even though people might mean well/care, they might not always be helpful and the fear that you're burdening others by disclosing your own problems with mental health.

I wonder with that second issue if it's something that's more common with mental health? I know people generally don't want to burden their loved ones with their troubles but you really do see it a lot

Is mental health something you feel like you can talk about with your family? Why or why not?

Fuck noooooo.

I don't like worrying my family so I don't tell them.  They all seem to have their own stresses and struggles so I feel like I'd be making it harder for them to deal with those if they had to help me and there's the fact that they aren't, especially my grandma, very empathetic regarding emotions.  They care a lot but when it comes to stuff like that it doesn't really work.

Because everyone else is stressed or has MHI sometimes the house goes into a bit of a meltdown and I'm the only one who seems to have their shit together.  If I don't at least look and act like I have my shit together then the house is going to turn into Gordon Ramsey's new series, Household Hell.

Highlighted

The short answer is no. I had friends take me to my first GP and psych appts, friends coach me through starting/going off medication with my psych and GP. I got my own medicare card so that they wouldnt know etc so yeah it was pretty bad for a while. Sorry if this is over-share. I've worked hard with my parents to help them understand me and how i process things and deal with stressors/triggers but even now we talk about MH all the time but never in the context of me. And if i do my mum goes into denial and says that it was iron deficiency...

ANYWAY, they're still very supportive of me and ive been lucky to have the money and support systems to help myself but I never felt I could go to them because of stigma amongst the South east asian population around mental health etc

Hi Everyone! 

My biological family consists of my mum, dad, brother and sister. I'm probably closest with my sister, but she's still a teenager so sometimes I'm not cool! Smiley Tongue My brother and I never really got on that well. I love my parents but my mom and I have very clashing personalities and fight a lot. I also have a puppy and guinea pigs. 

I don't talk to my family that much about mental health. I want to, but I don't feel like I can. They have different views and understanding of mental health so it usually just tends to end up in an argument. I try to subltly slip things about mental health in with my little sister and be as supportive of her as I can because I want the best for her and if she ever struggles with her own mental health, I want her to feel like it's ok, she can talk about it and can "reach out" (pun intended!) for help. 

Hey there @Randomness Smiley Very Happy

IN my parents defence - they are doing their best and it's not their fault they've been brought up the way they have.

I definitely think its a common thread @DirtWitch, I didn't tell people for a long time because I felt like a burden.

Next question...

3. What do you think is the role your family plays in your own mental health?  How can you involve them in the recovery process?

@Randomness I'm sorry to hear that about your family though I'm glad you can be there for your sister! She's lucky to have you

Yes, I am very lucky to be able to talk to my family about mental health - both mine, and the general concept of it. This is mostly because my mum struggles with her mental health, and my dad is super supportive of both her and me.

// Spiral outward, keep going. //