cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Discussing mental health with your family

I know they are similar that's why I get confused haha, and there's only one letter different so I get them mixed up @Ben-RO definitely want to know some more Smiley Happy
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Do any of your family members discuss their mental health with you? What can you do to help other family members suffering from a mental illness?
My dad more talks about his physical health with me and how that affects his mh, his acquired brain injury can have symptoms of mh and I just tell him I love him and that he's my hero and that I do what I can to help him.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Yeah, my mum discusses her mental health with me a lot, which is something I'm still getting used to.

Anyway, I'm heading to bed! Night, everyone! Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

My brother doesn't really directly discuss his mental health issues with me but discusses issues surrounding it, unfortunately I don't think he's at a point where he feels comfortable with having a possible mental health issue named. He's still very much in the, I don't have a problem stage Smiley Sad

@redhead ah so you know a lot and might be able to help @j95 out Smiley Happy 

Do any of your family members discuss their mental health with you?  What can you do to help other family members suffering from a mental illness?

My youngest sister shares a little bit. She went to hospital once for some mental health stuff. But doesn't really like sharing too much. I let her know that i'm there if she wants to talk, and sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. I kinda think that's okay because it's about what she needs after all Smiley Happy 

@redhead I'm glad your dad has you in his life....and vice versa! It sounds you like two have a really loving relationship even though you both have your individual struggles. I think in general people underestimate the effect that physical health can have on mh...I think I learnt in class that half of people with health conditions also have depression? But it's not really something you hear talked about as much

@j95 Wow so are you the oldest?? You and your siblings could literally form your own quidditch team!

I get most of my mh problems from my dad lol. Stuff like anxiety and depression. My dad freely talks about this stuff with me but because we're not very close I often find it really distressing, especially since mh treatment is not really top tier in China, it's really hard finding a good therapist if they even exist where you live.

Weirdly enough my own depression has opened my mom's eyes about her own mental health! Recently she talked to me about how she thinks she has had depressive episodes but just never recognised them...it was really great, I listened and encouraged her to speak to a doctor and she's agreed Smiley Happy 

edit: goodnight @letitgo! Glad you were with us <3

Well apart from my half brother (he doesn't count) yes I am the oldest @DirtWitch

Yeah my family does I guess, but i think im the one thats always checking in on everyone. Especially my brother, he gets stressed which isnt really mental illness related but it is wellbeing related so im just always checking in. And i do find that my mum talks to me openly when shes getting anxious thoughts or anything, so that's something i think! Definitely a positive thats come out of my experience.

@letitgo good night! It was great to hear your input tonight and I"m glad your family is supportive and open about mental illness. 

Although mental illness is a concept my parents are still getting their head around, they do talk about their issues and there are definitely times their mental health has been far from perfect. My sister is 15 and I find she's sometimes reluctant to open up. 

I try to help my family by being supportive, loving them and reminding them of positives. 

My sister I frequently ask her how she, school, hobbies, life, everything is going and remind her she talk to me about anything anytime and I will always listen and support her. 

Whoa @DirtWitch that's really cool that you helped your mum learn more about herself! That's some amazing support Smiley Happy