Re: [CHAT] Discussing mental health with your family

@Ben-RO there should to be an abi thread
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Also wow I didn't know my siblings and I could be a whole quidditch team.... I don't think they would be very good at it though they'd probably fight @DirtWitch
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Time for one last !
What can you do if you're not okay with discussing mental health issues with your family?  Is it okay to seek help without them knowing?

I'm finding it really interesting how many people in families have shared experiences of mental illness or at least personal struggles and that's opening up more conversation about it. I think it's a big way we open up discussion about mental illness in society as a whole. 

Hey @redhead keen to talk about this if you're ever up for it. Do you want to make the thread or shall I?
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@Stealth_ninja I'm really glad that you've been able to get your family to open up more! It looks like you're taking a lot of steps to build an more open and communicative dynamic within your family; I hope that you also take a lot of time to care for your own feelings too!

@redhead @j95 i think you two as Builders should make one Smiley Happy 

What can you do if you're not okay with discussing mental health issues with your family? Is it okay to seek help without them knowing?

I think lots of people do. It's hard to talk about with family, and in a lot of ways it's easier when you're talking to a professional, or anonymously online (hello Smiley Tongue).

What can you do if you're not okay with discussing mental health issues with your family? Is it okay to seek help without them knowing?
I first got help when I was 17 and didn't tell my family about it. Later on I told dad and he was supportive and then supported me financially for my psychology sessions which was good.
I didn't tell mum and I'm glad it was that way. I still don't tell mum. She doesn't even know I had surgery this time.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire

@j95 go for it, I'm kinda drugged up rn so wouldn't know what to say, I'll have to comment in morning.
Trying to make my misery
-Icon for Hire