cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Don't Dis my Ability.

I sit at a table trying to write ‘Hello, my name is….’ I’m aware of giggles around me. I'm struggling, not because I have an obscure name, but because I am writing with my wrong hand while wearing an oven mit. It is a weekly session for those with brain injury and, as a student helper, Jo (a good friend of mine with a brain injury) has told me that this is what writing is like when you have a brain injury.

‘How does someone write like this?’ I think to myself as I stare at the unconnected series of smudges and scribbles I’ve produced. I’ve seen the members here write many times, and often they are neat and legible.  Yet, my task was simple compared to some; the student next to me is having a hard time getting dressed with one arm taped to her side and her leg in a makeshift cast. 

Brain injury is only one type of disability – I use it as an example as it is the type I am most familiar with. Disability can be physical, mental, emotional, developmental, or sensory, just to name a few realms. It can be visible or hidden, permanent or transient, mild or severe. The spectrum of disability is vast.

What has been most apparent since joining in these sessions, is the overwhelming ability of the members. Their humour is off-the-wall, their enthusiasm is relentless, many have adapted physically, and their optimism is infallible.

The other week one member brought in a portrait of a kookaburra and, I swear, it was better than what one might find in an art gallery.

Having a disability does not mean that you have nothing to offer. In fact, it might make way for new-found strengths, greater compassion and understanding, or give insight that makes you the perfect helper for another person.

Focusing on strengths, rather than dwelling on the negatives, is crucial for a greater livelihood, especially if you live with a disability.

This perspective should also be adopted by outsiders looking in. Not only do people with disability have the right to be included, but with so much to offer, a lack of inclusion would mean a lost opportunity for everyone. I do sometimes wonder who has benefitted more from my time with individuals with brain injury, them or me? (Hint: it’s me)

This Monday we will be discussing disability and inclusion and some of the surrounding issues. Your perspective would be really appreciated Smiley Happy 

So, join in and be heard, it should be a really interesting discussion, hope to see you there!

Join us at 8:00 AEDT tonight to talk about Disability and Inclusion 

Re: [CHAT] Don't Dis my Ability.

Hey everybody! 

Tonight we're going to talk a bit about Disability! 

If you haven't already done so have a look at our community guidelines before you join in on the discussion. If at any point you feel you need some extra support, take a look at the emergency help resources which can be found in the top right corner of your page.

Alrighty, so here's our first question...

In your own words, how would you define disability?

Hey, hey!

Who elses words am I going to use? Smiley Tongue

Okay, so disability is an impairment that can be physical, mental, developmental, sensory, emotional etc. And people can either be born with it, or acquire it during their lifetime.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

This is actually a harder question than I thought it would be, buuuuuut I would think a disability is a lack of being able?  'Being able' could apply to mental or physical things... what do other people think?

Hi @stonepixie, welcome! haha where did you get that from?...

Heya @stonepixie

Welcome to tonight's chat! Smiley Tongue

Your definition is pretty spot-on. I think that some people can get pretty confused about how to define disability Smiley Happy

And to answer my own question Smiley Tongue

Disability is something that gets in the way of doing day to day life activities. It could be physical or it could be psychological or something else. I think a big part of Disability is made up by people though, sometimes something doesn't have to be a disability if other people can make a few adjustments that mean a difference doesn't have to be a disability.  

Totally agree @tsnyder! I struggle with defining disability too sometimes. 

It's important to note that disability does not necessarily have to be 'seen'. That's where the subject of 'invisible disabilities' arises. 

I have realised this year that my previous definition of disability needed to be reconsidered. I am still really formulating my new definition but it is now more along the lines of ... something which means that a person may need some sort of additional resources sometimes to be able to conduct a task, which another person may not need for the same activity. What the activity or additional resource is is pretty broad in my mind. I guess then, for me, the term 'disability' is a way of communicating to others that in some instances slightly different consideration may be needed for an individual, and that they are the best person to consult to cater for the mechanisms that work for them. [if that makes sense]

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

Hey there cool cats!

Well a disabilty is generally defined as some type of physical or sensory impairment, but I would think the disability should have a significant impact on your quality of life as well.