Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT]: Emotional Support Animals

@Meowkins Welcome to the chat! OMG I am in love with your username! <3

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

I think the benefits of emotional support animals is that they are consistent and reliable companions who often have the best intentions and a kind heart (particularly dogs!). I feel like those sorts of qualities would really help someone in need of emotional support
Highlighted

Hi all, I have a bit of a story. It's a long post btw

I have always had pets, and always a cat (I had small animals when I was younger). When I came home from university after being diagnosed with depression we didn't have any pets at the time because our last cat had been taken by a snake Smiley Sad

Anyway, I'd been home a few weeks and just felt so lost. I didn't know what to do with myself and just felt so lonely and sad. One weekend we went to petbarn and there was a black and white cat. I fell in love with him. I kept checking the website over the next week to see if he was still there. He was! It was a Thursday night and I begged my mum to go back and see if he was still for sale. As soon as Dad got home from work we went to the shop (late night shopping for the win!) with the cat basket. I was so pleased to see the little ball of fluff was still there. They let me pick him up and he was just so perfect. We brought him home.

Anyway, over the next few weeks Sooty brought a bit of light back into my life. I don't know what I would have done without him but I'd definitely say, 100% he helped me get better. He is such a caring cat, if I'm not feeling well he will sit with me. He waits for me to come home from work and is always pleased to see me.

And as I write this, he is resting against me on the couch! 

Highlighted

I do love cats Smiley Wink
Highlighted

What kinds of support can emotional support animals give?

Highlighted

That is an amazing story @Meowkins! Guess that particular cat changed your life for the better 🙂
Highlighted

That's such an awesome experience @Meowkins, I definitely believe that animals can often support people in the exact way that they feel they need to be supported. It's so awesome to hear that you've had an experience that's been helped by support animals!
Highlighted

That's really great @Meowkins. it's so amazing that you have an animal that's unconditionally there for you
Highlighted

@Meowkins that is such a lovely story!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

For what kind of support an animal can give, I'd say that they offer a lot of consistency in your life (particularly if you live with them) that is super comforting, they also unconditionally love you and I think we can also learn a lot from animals (day-to-day mindfulness, anyone?) that would all do us the power of good.