cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Families!

@j95 that's an interesting observation - you would have family that are removed from a situation just because you met them in a different place or they live in a different area, so you can go to them about a problem you're having with a family member. An unexpected upside!

@safari93 I do that all the time all though sometimes it backfires cos my friends range from 15 - 65 and my parents are both highly respected by them. Some times it works other times not so much.

Have you ever had to redefine your version of ‘family’? What was the difference between that ‘family’ and your current ‘family’?

Actually since I came out to myself I've had to restrict how close I would get to certain family members. I used to consider myself close to much of my extended family, but since most of them are rather homophobic I have to distance myself from all but a few cousins. What I've lost in extended family though I've made up for with a network of friends with similar experiences to me. I guess it goes to show that good things can come from bad experiences

exactly @safari93 it comes in handy Smiley Happy)
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@Elsie ahh I see, I imagine it would make things tricky at times

@j95 Having friends on the outside of the situation can give more a perspective in an objective way. Glad to hear that you have them as your go-to guys and gals!

Have you ever had to redefine your version of ‘family’? What was the difference between that ‘family’ and your current ‘family’?

When I was younger I considered my family to be those people I lived with i.e. Mum, Dad & siblings but as I left the situation and stopped living with them, I didn't have a family I could go to. I lived in heaps of different foster "families" but it never really felt like I was surrounded by family or loved but now that I'm older I have met so many people through different things Im passionate about and those people are my family now Smiley Happy
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@j95 It's wonderful to know that you have a family now that supports you in the way a family ought to Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@j95 Im glad that even though you have moved around that you have been able to have the ablilty to make your own family. This is a skill that I hope to posess in the future.

@j95 Yes! I agree that if you find people who are passionate about the same or similar stuff, they're also your fam - because they're fighting/championing with you!