Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[CHAT] Finding balance

What is B A L A N C E ? 

Balance = 
balance1
Literally!

Our lives can be so busy! Work, study, friends, family and then on top of that the personal stuff that we are dealing with - it can sometimes feel like we're always busy playing catch-up! So what does balance feel like? And why should we be seeking it? 

When you feel balanced your life, you feel a sense of stability. You feel organised, healthy and relaxed. Balance is about feeling like all of the elements in your life are being tended to, and nothing is felt left behind. Paying attention to committments (like work or university) but also prioritising fun, love and self-care.
Why can it sometimes be so hard to strike a balance? We are going to try and find out on Monday's Getting Real.

balance

What are the M Y T H S?
Let's smash some of those myths around balance so that we can better understand it!

Myth: You must be evened tempered 
RealityBalance can involve a full range of emotions

Myth: A balanced person is good at everything
RealityBalance requires prioritising 

How do we A C H E I V E balance? 
Let's think about the I N T E R N A L and E X T R E R N A L things that need balancing.
Internal: mind, heart and health. A balanced mind is challenged intellectually, as well as having time to rest. For the heart: both give and receive love. And with your health: eat nutriciously, drink water, and move your body but find the time to rest spoil yourself with treats. 

External: work, family, fun and social. Push yourself to achieve goals at work, but step back to see the bigger picture and learn that you can say no. Balance with your family is about fulfilling your responsibilities while also creating healthy boundaries. When it comes to fun, make time for the things you love, while not over doing it. Lastly, with your social life it's about satisfying your social desires, but also taking the time out for yourself. How much you need will depend on where you sit on the introvert/extrovert spectrum.

introv

What do you do if you are feeling U N B A L A N C E D? 
  1. Acknowledge… what is really going on? Be honest with yourself. 
  2. Examine… where is the imbalance? Is it internally or externally? 
  3. Set goals… make a list.
  4. Plan tasks… daily, weekly, monthly. 
  5. Reflect… what worked? What didn't work? how do you refocus? what fears or anxieties did you have? 
  6. Prepare… to overcome the negative talk or the anxiety
  7. Empower…. what do you need to keep reminding yourself? 
  8. Connect… make sure you communicate with your loved ones 

Make sure you tune in on Monday 1st June at 8pm AEDT to find out how we can achieve a healthy balance in our life, and how it is okay if we experience some set backs along the way. 

Re: [CHAT] Finding balance

Hello and welcome to another awesome Getting Real session! Tonight  @bessie94 and I will be talking about finding balance—looking after yourself, getting things done and most importantly… having fun in the process!

Before we get started be a champion and check out the community guidelines. If you feel like you need this is all too much and you feel overwhelmed please check out our emergency help page.

balance

Without further ado, here’s our first question:

1. What does balance mean to you?

Hey @jvkn, super excited for tonights getting real session!

What does balance mean to me?

I feel like balance is aboutt giving enough time and love into all of the aspects in your life, like family, girlfriend/boyfriend, school, hobbies etc

Highlighted

Should be a good one! i definitely agree! 

For me finding balance means trying to study, work, volunteer, hang out with my friends, spend time with my boyfriend, work out and sleep well all whilst fitting in time to binge watch copious amounts of Greys Anatomy—lol.

What about you @jvkn , what does balance mean to you???
Highlighted

1. What does balance mean to you?

To me, it means that you are grounded and prioritising tasks so as you do the most important things first. It is about taking care of yourself so as you don't burn out, aka a good work / life balance. And your time management skills are amazing.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

Let me just jump right in without saying 'Hello'. Opps!

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

Haha @jvkn it is hard to try and fit everything in hey!!! I always try and prioritise binge watching on netflix!

It can be hard to fit it all in though, especially if you have work and school and extra stuff like sport or music!
Highlighted

@stonepixie Hey and Welcome! 

Prioritising tasks is a biggie! I agree, taking care of yourself is so important because if you’re stressing out, it will show in everything you do!

What does balance mean to you?  

I think balance (work/life) would be the order between work or a career  and lifestyle (health or pleasure)

It's making a balance or making sure things in your life weigh up or sit right, making sure you are having emotional, mental and physical balance