cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Formal date dramas

Is your school LGBTI friendly when it comes to formals?

Can't say for sure because we didn't have anyone who was open about it, but I don't think my school would have had any issues. It sucks to here that some of your schools had such strong stances. 

Highlighted

hey florence forever, a deb is short for debutante. it's traditionally a girls coming out into the community, they'd get to go to balls etc after their deb. these days it's just a chance to dress up in a white dress and dance until you get blisters.

I agree completely @Billy-RO 

There was no one openly out at my school, but there was a girl openly 'bi' and she felt it was just easier to ask a guy instead of going through this whole process with school..

@florenceforever they do where i live! not at my school, but heaps of the schools around me had debs. it's all about girls being welcome into society or something. bit different to a formal because i think families go and stuff and they do special dances in white dresses.

lanejane

yeah debs are still popular here, most girls in year 11 do them, well a large majority of them. It's a pretty big deal. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hey everyone!

On the topic of same sex couples at formals, sadly I remember my all girls school being very against that. You definitely couldn't bring another girl, even if it was your sister.

@Billy-RO I think some people I went to school with had the same thought, didn't have much fun with it :/

Yeah it's a big night where the girls dress up in dresses that are like wedding dresses and they have partner, they do all the formal dances and stuff and have dinner and all that. They are good nights. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I haven't seen She's the Man so I'm not sure @florenceforever. As the others said, basically girls get dressed up in white dresses and get 'presented' to the community I guess. I think they are more common in regional/rural areas - there are none where I live (Metro area) but where my parents are from they did them (and still do to this day).

All these people who went to schools with debs! I didn't even know that sort of thing still existed anymore