cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Formal date dramas

Do you think that some formal traditions; like dress code, having a date, arriving in a limo, or getting a corsage, are important?

Dress code - no. I would love to see someone rock up in like a pikachu suit or something like this...

worst-prom-ever-4.jpg

Having a date: No! As we have heard the whole date thing can turn out terribly and you can still have fun with your friends anyway.... It's not like you have spent your whole year 12 experience with a date. Which brings me to the question - why are people allowed to take dates outside of school who didn't even go?

Limo: WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE - WHERE DID THIS TRADITION EVEN COME FROM. THIS IS NOT A WEDDING.

lanejane

Do you think that some formal traditions; like dress code, having a date, arriving in a limo, or getting a corsage, are important?

I think they're important if you want them to be, but it's a personal thing - some people love the idea of getting dressed up, and others couldn't give a stuff about that kind of thing. I think it's when the former group pressure the latter group into abiding by their "formal" rules that the whole experience can be stressful. One of my best mates in high school was a girl who didn't like dresses - they just weren't her thing. Even though she didn't want to, she wore a dress to the formal and everyone made such a big deal about it ("OMG DID YOU SEE SHE'S ACTUALLY IN A DRESS?!") that she was self-conscious and miserable. Some of the traditions are pretty conservation and out-dated, hey?

Welcome @j95 

It's nice that there was still some sort of celebration where you went to school. I'm sure it was fun!

Hey @j95 ! Welcome to our chat and thanks for joining us!

Yup, I've heard of some schools do their formals earlier than Yr 12. Still sounds like a great way to celebrate the end of the year!

@j95 

When did you meet Yas? Guessing she would be your formal date if you were to have a formal again now? Cat Tongue

lanejane

@Myvo Pizza and Game of Thrones are a way of life in general, but I agree that it's definitely a great way to celebrate Year 12. Perhaps you can get really fancy and order stuffed crust and extra garlic bread for the special occasion.

Woah now @benjamin_, don't go crazy!

@Billy-RO I had a book burning party too! Sooooo satisfying to see those math textbooks turn to ash Smiley Tongue

Not really, it can be kind of fun to do though. Just so long as you don't feel pressured, do whatever you want Smiley Happy

I ripped up my maths notes! So much satisfaction

Would definitely be my formal date @lanejane I never went to a formal at school but by what people are descrbing it sounds a bit like debs, I went to a friends one a few weeks ago. I was never in one though. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//