cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Formal date dramas

@lanejane Oh yeah! I had people in my grade who brought people who weren't in our grade, let alone our school! I suppose each to our own, but it does make it pretty awkward. Some schools in my hometown or somewhere close by make out-of-school dates to pay a fee, due to catering costs. 

@Billy-RO Yup, some traditions are pretty out-dated and sometimes, an invitation to very rude remarks (i.e. Hollllyyy shhhh****tttt, you're in a dresss?! You're actually hot!?) No, go away!

@lanejane These dresses are close to a Pikachu suit, I guess...

pikachu.jpg 

@Billy-RO I think that is such a good example. Girls not wanting to wear dresses.

Not that girls necessarily want to wear suits either... But just want this opportunity to bring mean girls into the conversation

630e7a990c21f9cc2b14b3e654e43ce0.jpg

lanejane

I had no notes to burn LOL.

I did this thing in year 12 where i'd write all my notes in class in random books because I didn't have specific books for each subject. I'd tear out the page with the plan to organize it later, but it all ended up scrunched up in my bag and ultimately, the bin.

I crammed in the end and did ok, but still, I don't recommend this process. 

@florenceforever wrote:

Do you think that some formal traditions; like dress code, having a date, arriving in a limo, or getting a corsage, are important?

I think it depends on the context and the formal that you are going to. For mine, the only real formal expectation we had was the was we dressed. Not everyone took dates, and no one came in fancy cars or got corsages - some received flowers. And that was totally okay!

I went to a very small, independent, all girl's school and at our year 12 formal, a lot of the girls took girls who used to go to our school but didn't anymore as their dates. It wasn't a sexuality thing, it was preferring to take a friend over a guy they half knew and it meant they could be included in a celebration at the school they used to attend!

That is such a lovely idea to take friends that used to go to the school @florenceforever ! Unfortunately at my school we were only allowed to bring people from the same school, so options were limited!!

Do you think that some formal traditions; like dress code, having a date, arriving in a limo, or getting a corsage, are important?

I think the dress code is somewhat important, e.g. everyone wears formal wear, but that people can still wear whatever they want within that (E.g. girls can wear suits if they want, or you can wear both short and long dresses). The rest of it can go as far as I'm concerned - I came in my parents car (with my family) and didn't have date or a corsage and still had a perfectly fine time Smiley Happy. I think that those traditions can create more stress and stop people from having a good time (definitely true for some of my friends unfortunately).

Hehehe  @benjamin_  I've just started cramming for an exam I have tomorrow morning!

@florenceforever Ah the cramming, it never ends Smiley Tongue

HMMM

So... in terms of challenging traditions. What is your school like when it comes to same sex dates and partners? @delicatedreamer  mentioned they were only allowed to take people from the same school. If you're limited in options can you take the same sex...??

Which leads me to the next question:

Is your school LGBTI friendly when it comes to formals?

lanejane

Haha nope @Chessca_H

I'm still learning new content as we speak! note: NO ONE take studying advice from me...

Is your school LGBTI friendly when it comes to formals?

> I honestly think mine was LGBTI friendly. That was the vibe I got from my school~I think overall, they wouldn't have cared about who you brought along as your date.