cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Help! Is anybody out there?

@Madame wrote:
I found it uncomfortable for the most part, with some exceptions to get 'help' and so I found myself looking at places like RO and KHL because of the anonymity. It's very intimidating talking to others about your darkest secrets!

Couldn't agree more! I know when I needed someone to talk to, becoming anonymous made me feel a lot safer and a little less scary. I think it's a really good step for people to take when reaching out for help! Woo, Thanks KHL + RO!!!

@Myvo wrote:

@delicatedreamer I think that sometimes, we can be in a state of denial about what's really going on for us. This could prevent us from getting the help we need, but it's great to have people who can help you point it out!

Agreed. I was in denial about something that was going on for me a few weeks ago, and having people point it out forced me to confront the issue and seek help, which made it a lot easier to deal with. It's important to try and be open to it when people say that they think you are struggling too. When it was first said to me I found it really difficult and wanted to shut it out and pretend it wasn't happening, but it's important to try and keep an open mind and reflect to help you figure out where you're at and if the other person might be noticing things that you haven't.

@stonepixie wrote:

@dreamcatcher

I do this too, and I've noticed a lot of my friends do it too. (I also quite like th idea your room mate has, I might see if that might work with my roomies)

What are something’s that can get in the way of getting help? How can people overcome this?

Bad experiences are a big one. They can put you off from getting help for awhile or what feels like the longest time. I think that finding a trustworthy person can slowly help you get back on your feet and genuinely wants you to take the time to grow. 

@Myvo : That's an excellent point, I know I'm guilty of feeling this way sometimes. 

What are something’s that can get in the way of getting help? 

Shame, stigma, don't want to talk about it at that particular moment feel like you are bothering them with your problems, that they where just asking the question to be polite and don't actually care about how you respond to the question or that people will gossip about your problem (that was big thing for me).

How can people overcome this?

Seek help where you can remain anonymous. Ask someone you can trust if you can talk to them about something serious. Or you can do what I did in a moment of courage and go to your local headspace centre and say you want to talk to someone. You can even use their e-headspace services if going in person scares you.

I remember when I first started going there, I didn't want anyone I knew to see me walk in, now I don't even care who sees me. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I suppose getting help, and taking the initiative yourself or for someone else to for you, would have to (in your mind) mean that something is wrong with you? (Nothing is wrong with you if your sad but that's always a thought in my head I have to shut up) And as human beings in general that's hard to accept.

What are something’s that can get in the way of getting help? How can people overcome this?

Not wanting there to be a problem, wanting to be independent, not wanting to be judged or viewed differently and wanting to be the same as everyone else, not knowing who to ask for help, not having physical access to help (e.g. living rurally or not having internet access). With the first few I find it's usually about self talk, I need to talk myself into it and remind myself of all the positives of seeking help. Sometimes I'll also tell a friend or family member what is going on so they can encourage me to seek help too. With the physical access I'm not so sure... trying to access phone services instead would be on strategy...

Highlighted

stonepixie, I couldn't agree more! Feeling like youre bothering the person you're going to for help can be a big setback.

I think a biggie (well, it was for me) was the stigma of asking for help... Like, I kept seeing a counsellor so damn quiet because I didn't want people to talk shit... because to a lot of people, seeing a counsellor means you have to have a big problem, which isn't always the case.

Rumours are a big thing in my tiny little town Smiley Sad