cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Help! Is anybody out there?

@Myvo wrote:

@dreamcatcher I think that it's difficult to admit that we're not ok because not only is it such an effort to go into detail about what you're going through, but we're also afraid of the reaction we'll get from someone. It might be a way of protecting ourselves and not wanting to reveal a more vulnerable side to us. 

It only started to occur to me that something was wrong because my professor kept on asking me if everything was alright and if there was anything he could do for me. Of course he was talking about my research and had no idea that I had taken it in a completely different way until I told him after getting some help.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Looking good guys! 

What steps can a young person take to get the appropriate help they, or a friend, need?

@stonepixie It's good to hear that regardless of the question's context, you'll talk about either side quite comfortably (getting some research help or getting some personal help for yourself) Smiley Happy

@dreamcatcher wrote:

What are something’s that can get in the way of getting help? How can people overcome this?

I think a biggie (well, it was for me) was the stigma of asking for help... Like, I kept seeing a counsellor so damn quiet because I didn't want people to talk shit... because to a lot of people, seeing a counsellor means you have to have a big problem, which isn't always the case.

Rumours are a big thing in my tiny little town Smiley Sad

Yes, it was definitely the stigma for me and even now I still feel like I'm stigmatizing myself. And coming from a tiny gossiping town also didn't help my case even though I am nowhere near it now. And my mum has pretty much told everyone back home. So that was kind of scary when I went home for the first time. But everyone in our little circle was quite accepting and it helped others to talk about their problems.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

They can ask their parents/family/friends for advice and assistance to help guide them (or their friend) to the appropraite help for their problem.

What steps can a young person take to get the appropriate help they, or a friend, need?

If it's professional help that's required (e.g. psychologist or counsellor) the GP is a good place to start.
At school, at teacher or the guidance officer/school counsellor may also be a good place to start
At uni, student support services or counselling services are good places to seek help and find out what support is available.
When seeking help for a friend I think the best place to start would be to ask that person what sort of help they want and if they want you to do anything so that you don't step on any toes.

Start talking about it. Whether it is to another person or in written form in a journal. Then once your comfortable, you can look online for places to go for help. Then when you get the courage, you can contact them or if it is a friend, you can tell them the places that you have found as to where to get some help.

Hey Shepard!

Only curious, what happens if the advice you get from those sources are "You have to figure that out yourself. Only you can help yourself" ? That's happened to me recently and it kind of stumped me?

Highlighted

@stonepixie Yup, agree with some strange self-stigma. I believe that we sometimes think we know better and then when we realise that we need help, we're ashamed of it. We feel ashamed that we should've been able to see it coming and having more knowledge to prevent or cope. And living in a small town, man, I can relate. I relate with being part of a small 'community' where people were not very kind. 

@delicatedreamer  These are great points! I'd also add things like ReachOut and KHL to the list too, like it was mentioned before, some people really value the anonymity Smiley Happy