cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Help! Is anybody out there?

HELP

For a few years of my life, some horrible things had happened in my family that made me fear for my life. I used to think that I was strong enough to handle it on my own. To do otherwise, I thought, was the coward’s solution. I remember telling myself that what was happening wasn’t that bad. I was also afraid if I found help, I would be taken away.

One day, I couldn’t cope.

Frivolously page-turning through the Yellow Pages and secretively sneaking the home phone into my room, I began ringing numbers. Some of these were shelters, others were departments, and there were some that I had no clue as to what they actually did. I was recommended to call the Kids Helpline where I held my breath, wondering if anyone would pick up. After countless visits to school counsellors, chaplains and psychologists, there was no golden outcome. I felt distrustful of them. 

When help did arrive and I was found out, there was a blame shifted onto me which made me feel like I didn’t deserve support.

It took me awhile to even bother trying again.

But I don’t regret it.

It may have taken ages but in the end, at least I know that help is out there. It was a struggle but slowly, I began to recover and became more aware of those who cared. Finding awesome places like ReachOut.com, Headspace and Beyondblue as well as finding the right people was one of the best things to have happened to someone who almost gave up in the end.

As years go by, it has been important to learn how to find help, not just for myself but for others too.

Seeking help has never been an easy road to travel. Who can you talk to that you can trust? A friend, a relative, a complete stranger? It can be almost tormenting and doubtful to begin searching. But it doesn’t have to be.

***Join us on Monday 2 June at 8pm AEST right here to talk about tips on where, how and who you can talk to find help and why it is important***

Re: [CHAT] Help! Is anybody out there?

See you tonight everyone!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey, hey everyone!

I hope you are all good today. Tonight’s Getting Real sesh will be with @Myvo and I, and it’ll be all about getting help!! This should be a really useful chat, so get keen!

Remember to keep the forum guidelines in mind, we like to keep these convos nice and friendly. If at any stage you feel upset due to this chat, please check out the emergency help section to see who you can talk to.

To start us off 

Why do you think getting help in important? What are some of the positive outcomes?

It can make you a happier person and get issues off your chest. And its important to get help to get better and fuction your best. 

Hey everyone! Awesome to kick-start this GR! Smiley Happy

Why do you think getting help in important? What are some of the positive outcomes?

It's important to get help as it can escalate or accumulate if nothing happens. I think that getting help allows you to be more open with yourself and others as well as breaking down the stigma of being supposedly "wimpy". There are times when you've really got to put aside your pride and get out there!

Hey @ideasman15 ! Thanks for coming out!

That's a great point on getting help to function better, particularly if you want to be at the best of your game Smiley Happy

Welcome @ideasman15 !!!!
That's an excellent answer Smiley Happy

Hey Guys!

Getting help is important because it is vital to your physical and mental health. Some positive outcomes are that you are given the tools necessary to help yourself. The people who are providing the help, help you make sense of your situation.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

yeah thanks for the appreciation on the answers but its actually really ideasman14 i mucked up reactivating my old acccount. I had to shut it down because of people finding it and making fun of me Smiley Sad

I agree with @Myvo about how one thing can escalate from something so minor. This may mean that something that would have been easy to treat if caught early, will take a lot longer to recover from and turn into something major.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Announcements
Share what's on your mind:
Head here to start a topic

Not sure where to start?:
Head here and say hi!
Users Online
Currently online: 307 guests
Please welcome our newest community members:
Top High Fived Authors