cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Help! Is anybody out there?

@Myvo wrote:

@stonepixie Yup, agree with some strange self-stigma. I believe that we sometimes think we know better and then when we realise that we need help, we're ashamed of it. We feel ashamed that we should've been able to see it coming and having more knowledge to prevent or cope..

Totally agree with this @Myvo@ and @stonepixie. I experience this a lot.

Next question for tonight!

What are some tips that someone could use to help them relax when talking to someone for the first time?

What are some tips that someone could use to help them relax when talking to someone for the first time?
Talking about the subject like it's not taboo, being open about it and even putting in their own experiences to help show that they understand and are here to help. The experiences don't even have to be as severe, but you can use them to show empathy.
Empathy lets people know they are not alone/weird/wrong for feeling the things they feel.

• Positive self-talk
  • Deep breathing (a personal favourite)
  • Remind yourself that this person my not have all the answers, if any, but there is help out there

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@stonepixie wrote:

• Positive self-talk
  • Deep breathing (a personal favourite)
  • Remind yourself that this person my not have all the answers, if any, but there is help out there

Couldn't have summed it up better myself Smiley Very Happy

Write a list (if you can) before you go, so you know what you want to talk about (I'm a big list fan!), if it's a scheduled meeting I like to arrive early to give myself a chance to calm down first, start with topics that you are comfortable with before moving to topics that are more difficult, maybe set some "ground rules" for the discussion (e.g. if you only want the conversation to stay between yourself and the other person it would be good to discuss it so you are both on the same page - particularly when talking to professionals because there are some situations where they might be legally bound to reveal certain information to other parties), I also like to bring water to sip on (it helps me to relax for some reason).

Last question for tonight, guys!!!
What would you do if someone asked you for help?

Help them! I'd ask them what they wanted me to do for them, if they didn't know, then I'd offer up some suggestions to discuss and go from there.

Thanks for a great convo tonight guys, and thanks @dreamcatcher, @Myvo and @Sophie-RO for faciiltating. Good night!

Freak out internal whilst trying to remain composed externally. Then depending upon their age, I would recommend them to visit headspace, however, knowing that there is currently a 2+ month waiting list for the centers around me, I would recommend them to visit their GP, see the uni counselor. I would also recommend to anyone the websites that the pro's gave me as well as the exercises they had me doing when I first started seeing them.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@delicatedreamer Thanks for joining us! Have a good night!