cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Holiday boredom. It's a thing??

Yeah, it was definitely an interesting discussion @EloiseRose. We talked about balance of activities and how that affects boredom. There is definitely an imbalance on holidays (lots more leisure time) so I can see how that would create more opportunities for boredom.

What is the difference between boredom and relaxation, how are they the same and how are they different?

They are different because you generally choose to relax but you don't choose to be bored, and because relaxation is good for your mental well being and being bored is not so good for it. Similarities hmmm... Both involve not doing too much, but apart from that I can't really think of any...

What is the difference between boredom and relaxation, how are they the same and how are they different?

OK so to me they look the same right??

Boredom and relaxation can look like reading, wathcing crappy tv, cleaning as mentioned and doing simple tasks...

So maybe its all just a state of mind !

So next time im bored if i tell myself im relaxed maybe that wil chagne my perspective

Welcome @kittycat23  Smiley Happy

I definitely agree with you. I often lack interested when I'm bored with something. And it can really get me down

That's a very interesting way to think about boredom @EloiseRose!

It would probably actually make you feel better if you told yourself you were relaxing as opposed to being bored. 

@florenceforever 

yeh i reckon next time i feel bored ill try that. 

Because relaxation is soooo much better than feeling bored. 

I agree, there is a HUGE imbalance during the holidays @delicatedreamer 

I think it is so empowering to decide that I'm going to relax, as opposed to just being bored.

@delicatedreamer

its weird the overall feeling is that no one chooses to be bored!! I'm just trying to get my head around ... i have never thought about it before

sooo next q guys 

So if holidays are filled with all this down time and time off, whats so good about ‘empty’ time or time when you have nothing to do? Why might being bored be a good sign?

First things first, relaxation is a good feeling, boredom is a bad feeling (I think anyway). I think when we are relaxed we are doing things we enjoy, although that's not always the case, as sometimes we may be doing things we enjoy but may not be relaxed. If you think about things like relaxation exercises maybe you could say that our brain is focussed on something whereas in boredom it isn't focussed on something - could explain the bad feelings maybe, if our brain isn't occupied when we're bored then maybe the negative feelings & thoughts have a chance to muliply? I dunno, these are just my musings lol

@kittycat23
it seems to be the common thread ... the idea of focussing on things. I like your musings... continue sharing your musings!!!!