cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] How to help a friend

actually i'll clarify on my last answer - of course you should make conversation with your friends (unless your mute or something) but I mean just keep talking-to them and keeping them company, don't let them be alone in their own thoughts for too long, it can be pretty dark.

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I find that a lot of my friends stress about things excessively because they don't have a plan to combat/overcome them. So if they're willing, /I like to help my friends find positive steps forward, tangible things they can do.
But @confetti rain listening is also really important!
Highlighted

What are some ways that you could help a friend who was going through a tough time?

Be there for them when they reach out to you. Sometimes people going through a tough time are hesitant to, you know, ASK for help or support. I know myself I always think that I should work stuff out by myself, be a big girl Smiley Wink

Have found out over the past year how beneficial it is to reach out and ask for the support you need.

Isn't it nice when your friends make themselves available , give a little bit of their time. Sometimes that just really perks you up, gets you out of your head, to have a chat and a laugh with a friend

@copse Aw, thanks! It definitely can be hard sometimes! There are definitely moments when I just want to be left alone, haha, but then it can be bad to be left to dwell on your negative thoughts too. I also think helping your friends make "plans" is a really good idea! Sometimes it's hard to see the "big picture" when your'e going through a tough time and it can be helpful to have someone who can see it give you some ideas!

@j95 I totally agree! Sometimes the last thing a person wants is to be reminded that they're feeling sad! It can be nice just to forget about your worries for a while.

Welcome welcome @Bronte9!

So true that some people may feel scared or hesitant to telling another person what's gong on! And here here, ReachOut is the best! Smiley Very Happy

@Bronte9 Asking someone for help can actually be really scary and embarrassing! I think a lot of people try and work it out by themselves for that reason. I definitely think learning to actually reach out is a really important skill like you said! 

Tell me about it! Interestingly, it's only since I started asking for the support I needed or whatever, that I noticed my friends actually all around me being there for me offering a hand or an ear. Smiley Very Happy

In fact @Bronte9 you totally brought us to our next question! God job! Smiley Very Happy Sometimes the people that we want to help don’t want us to help them. They want to "work things out themselves".

What are some things we can do when our friend says that they don’t want us to help them?

@Bronte9 I feel the same! Its like speaking your problem aloud can't do it justice to hiw it feels