cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] I failed? It ain't easy

Can you think of something that felt like failure but ended up teaching you something? what did you learn?

Yes, but more so, I think some of my failures have actually led me to better situations.  For example, my dream as a kid was to play professional basketball, but some of the people I met at uni have been more of a positive influence on my life than that would've been!

Can you think of something that felt like failure but ended up teaching you something? what did you learn?

This happens to me all the time!!
Examples of this for me are:
Getting dropped from my footy team - I've learnt to work harder and earn my spot, instead of expecting it.
Or when I fail a unit or assessment at trade school, I feel like I have just let myself and my teachers down, but each time I have failed I have learnt what I can do better next time, to pass.

A big one for me is last year I lost my electrical apprenticeship after 3 years because I made a huge mistake and did something stupid without thinking, I felt like a complete failure, let everyone down and most of all let myself down. I thought, I can't believe I have put all this work in, now effed up, what an idiot. Although I already knew stealing was wrong, I still did it and I have learnt the consequences. Learnt heaps. Would never make that mistake again.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

thats interesting @Ben-RO, because I have made some horrendous meals in my life but I never even thought of them as failures... I reserve 'failure' for some of the really big things I think

So true about cooking Ben-RO

Was good @tsnyder I am exhausted though
Highlighted

@Ben-RO I'm sure a lot of professional chefs have had similar experiences, just goes to show you have to have a lot of practice, and make mistakes to learn how to cook great food Smiley Tongue

My big one would have to be laundry, i made the mistake of mixing whites with colours and after three pink (use-to-be-white) shirts i've learn my lesson and now know how to master the art of laundry 

@j95 that shows some awesome maturity.  What did you learn from the stealing incident?

hi guys..

i think the cooking one is a good example of how you can learn so much from failure... because if you try to back a cake and it goes wrong, you have to know WHICH part of the recipe went wrong to avoid doing it next time... so learning from failure isn't as simple as it seems sometimes...you really need to reflect on it.... not just make assumptions about which part went wrong...

Failing a ton of assessments has driven me to improve my work in all my subjects.  My maths test are a good example.

My first test was 40%

And my test after that was 100%

@j95 i've also recently failed a unit at school and found that this semester i've been a lot more motivated to do better. Failures often motivate us and teach us lessons to do better in future outcomes