Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] I failed? It ain't easy

goodnight ruenhonx
Highlighted

Great responses guys, now to our next question:

5. when we try to analyse a "failure" to learn from it, its hard to look objectively since we are emotionally invested in our own situation. is it possible to 'put yourself in someone elses shoes' to learn from it??

nice! yes the mistake is the beginning not the end..

5. when we try to analyse a "failure" to learn from it, its hard to look objectively since we are emotionally invested in our own situation. is it possible to 'put yourself in someone elses shoes' to learn from it??

I think it is.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@chandelier I really like that! "the mistake is the beginning not the end" ... awesome saying, definitely one to right down

Absolutley it is hard.  Immediately folluwing a failure, especially if you have a large investment, it can be really hard to step back and look at a situation objectively.  Being able to empathize can definitely take time in my opinion - the greater the mental distance between now and the failure, the easier it is to put yourself in someone elses shoes

what if you like "put yourself in someone else's shows" that is really different to you to reflect on it? Like if you use that phrase "What would __________" do? EG a CEO, Harry Potter, lady gaga... Just to think outside the box to really learn something unexpected?

Oops - accidental pressed post early.
I think this because...

Well, I'm going to use this stealing scenario again. While I knew I had done wrong and messed up, while facing the consequences I couldn't help but think, I wouldn't want this happening to me. if I was a small business owner I would be pretty damn angry if a employee took things, someone who was supposed to be trusted.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I think so, but again it takes a bit of practice to get the knack of it. Especially when there's a bit of stress going on from whatever just happened. I let those feelings happen, they're totally normal after all. Then i take a moment to think about it in the grand scheme of things. Kind of the same thing, but I don't know who's shoes i'm filling!

@chandelier, hmmm, I understand what you are getting at, but I feel as though it is more important to put yourself in another's shoes when they are involved in the 'failure'.  For example, asking "what would so-and-so do" is less relevant and beneficial than asking "how does the other person feel".  At least, this is my take on it