cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [CHAT] I look after me

What are some of the difficulties that come with practicing self-care?
The biggest one is taking care of yourself. A lot of people might find it difficult to actually take some time out of their day or week to take care of themselves, mentally and physically.
Highlighted

For me, the most difficult thing was actually getting myself to do it, and think that I deserved it. I think I had warped the idea of self-care in my mind to mean 'any kind of slacking off', and it took a while to realise that there is a difference between looking after yourself and cultivating bad habits

Highlighted

@FootyFan26 my friend gave me a new instant relief for anger the other day. Screaming into a pillow. I kid you not, it worked.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

@N1ghtW1ng Taking the time out can be so difficult, but it's so worth it when you can!

Highlighted

@N1ghtW1ng so true!! Most people have so much going on, they might not have much time or they might think that time could be 'better' spent

Highlighted

@safari93 Motivation, yes I struggle with that too.

Highlighted

@safari93 I think our culture is so focused on achieving and working hard that self-care often gets treated like an indulgence or a reward for hard work, so changing your own attitudes around it can be super difficult :/

@stonepixie Yep, things like anxiety and stress do have a tendency for a snowball effect, unfortunately.

As for this question...

Personally, it can be a bit of a guilt thing sometimes. I also get the feeling that it may be undeserved, or taking away from care I should be giving someone else. I can get caught up and obsessed over not being 'productive enough', and self-care sometimes looks so pointless when I feel Ihave work to do and skills to improve. It certainly is important of course!!

Highlighted

What are some of the difficulties that come with practicing self-care?

Finding time, knowing when to stop so as you suddenly become unproductive. Also if your self-care is something that can form a bad habit. Like there are people who go home after a long day a work to a glass of wine. Next thing they know, it is 3 glasses of wine or the whole entire bottle.

So basically making sure your self-care habits are healthy.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Highlighted

@Chessca_H @holoholo Definitely, and you don't really have anything to show for it when you do practice self care. It can be hard to persuade yourself to look after yourself since you think that it isn't as 'productive', which is ridiculous because productivity is not the point of sef-care