cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Let's go travelling!

To travel on a budget...
1- if you know you are an overspender, see how much you usually overspend by. Then, next time you travel, lower your budget by that much and a little bit more, so when you overspend, you end up at your usual budget.
2- set up a predetermined account specifically for travel and have it set at that. If you hit the limit, think about what you want to buy, if it's absolutely essential (i.e food, paying for hotel) then take it out of secondary account. If not, then do you really need it?
3- Write a list on how much you allow yourself for certain things. Souvenirs, food, places, and how much you know (such as the places) cost to work your budget from there. If you've traveled before, use that as a stepping stone to knowing how much you spend on souvenirs and such.

I also realise that it was number one tip... but I'm going to pretend I didn't see it.

@florenceforever - My sister and I are 5 years apart (she is older). We've always got along really well, and she kind of looks after me when we travel, as she has done so much travelling, it's just like second nature to her Smiley Happy

What is your number one tip for people who are travelling on a budget?

I would say probably:

1. Cook your own meals, and pack bread, salsa and a cucumber for lunch every day. With the occasional meal out treat (for cultural exploration of course!)

2. Travel overland. Taking local buses and trains can be really cheap, and also is an amazing way to see the countryside.

I think working on a budget is such a good idea @N1ghtW1ng

There is so much crap I end up buying on holiday - I spend so much money and I never need it/use it when i get back home.

I think PLANNING is a great way to save time and money!

I can never stick to plans. It's SO annoying!

Planning and pre-booking/pre-purchasing can save SO much money!

@redhead going with parents can definitely be a money saver!
@FootyFan26 that's a good one. Buying some things (like Dutch Syrup Waffles @hartley_) are better from a local supermarket or something like that.
@florenceforever public transport! Although be careful about tickets and such.
@Georgie bringing your own meals and such is a good idea. But then not forgetting to try out the local cuisine! Smiley Happy

@FootyFan26 I know right? I love planning and then I do something else. But planning is a great way to save money. Perhaps with money involved we'd stick to the plan?
Highlighted

Exactly! @florenceforever!

@N1ghtW1ng - Stroopwafels! They're the best!