cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Life After School

Some of us are lucky enough to find our true calling straight out of high school, others… Not so much. Were you one of those lucky people, or are you still figuring it out?

WELL, yeah ~ I wasn't one of the lucky ones. I started off with an Exercise Science degree before switching to Arts (Psychology). I think that many people don't realise how much pressure there is to choose a path which stays with you for life. 

I think that a lot of young people like ourselves go through different life experiences and try all sorts of things, and that can teach us about who we are. That was the case for me, and I feel like I grew up a lot after graduating from highschool because of that

I reckon the people who don't know what they want straight out of school are the lucky ones!! Spending time figuring out it time well spent - travelling, trying different things....

@Myvo Totally agree!! There's so much emphasis on knowing exactly what you're going to do as soon as you graduate. Which seems a little unfair when you've only just reached adulthood and know next to nothing about the world

@safari93 Definitely agree! It's those experiences and trying EVERYTHING that makes life so challenging and interesting Smiley Very Happy

@redhead that's very normal! I have so many friends that have graduated/are graduating uni and they still have no clue... It's tough to know at this age!

@chandelier You can definitely get a lot out of having new and exciting experiences, so agreed!!

@chandelier thats such a good point, why do we need to centre success on know what we want to do career wise?

@chandelier Totally agree!! It's such an adventure discovering who you are and what you want do with your life. 

The options of what to do with yourself after school finishes can seem endless, what with the possibility of uni, TAFE, work, gap year or a potential quarter-life crisis. Who are some people in your life who could help you to figure out the direction you want to take or help you when you weren’t so sure in the past?

I used to rely on my parents for most of my career guidance, but so far I've become more independent in what I want. I have a few friends who are a bit older and have already graduated, and their stories about uni help me decide what I should do with my time. Also they give heaps of advice about grasping opportunities and doing as much as you can!!