cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Life After School

Before we graduate life after school can seem like a massive deal, both in good and bad ways. How does your experience of life after school measure up to what you thought it was going to be like before? If you’re not finished yet, what are some of your expectations of what your life could be like post-graduation?

Same here @safari93 ! I thought that after school ended, I'd really knuckle down for the next chapter of my life. Oh, so wrong Smiley Tongue I still have my dreams and ambitions but I think that now, detours are a frequent bonus! We may not always get what we want but we can change the way we view getting to where we want to be. 

Sorry guys, had to pick up my bro from work! Time for a #catchuppost

Who are some people in your life who could help you to figure out the direction you want to take or help you when you weren’t so sure in the past?
Usually I can depend on myself... I tend to overthink things and worry about every single detail about my future. That's when I just write some lists; things i want to do, jobs I would like to have, places I want to go.... just writing all that down works most of the time.... Other times I'm just like 'Screw the future LIVE IN THE NOW #YOLO (did I use that right? I'm down with the hashtags, yo!)

While some of us manage to escape it, a lot of us fall victim to the dreaded quarter-life crisis at some point after we finish school. Is this something you or someone you know have experienced before? How did you/they get through it?

I think I go through little phases where I just panic and want to drop everything with uni, work and life and literally run away and deleting myself off the internet and starting totally fresh....It only lasts a few days usually. The best thing I can do (because I'm usually uber stressed with 2809430948 jobs) take it hour by hour and only focus on one task at a time... Slow and steady Smiley Happy

What are some tips you have for relaxing and de-stressing when the idea of fledging adulthood becomes a bit much?

College and being at uni is kinda slowly getting me warmed up to adulthood, but sometimes I dip my toes in too quickly and I panic and run away.... That's when I start watching things like Rugrats or The Saddle Club. I'M JUST KEEPING THE CHILDHOOD ALIVE OKAY!!!!

What are some of the things we need in order to make life after school happy and fulfilling?

Don't take on all the things (even though we want to) because you'll just wear yourself out (+ you need 'me time'), do things that make you happy and that you enjoy, pay your bills, don't be afraid to ask for help and don't eat icecream for breakfast every day Smiley Happy

what if you dont have the will to graduate? if you have one more year of depression to cope with alone? there is nothing more depressing than having it all and still being sad

Yep completely agree! I didn't realise the real world was this vague and difficult to navigate place Smiley Tongue Losing the rigid structure of high school is a strange thing to go through.

@dreamcatcher hahahaha I'm constantly getting in touch with my inner child Smiley Tongue 

Before we graduate life after school can seem like a massive deal, both in good and bad ways. How does your experience of life after school measure up to what you thought it was going to be like before? If you’re not finished yet, what are some of your expectations of what your life could be like post-graduation?

I seriously thought everyone travelled in their gap year, just 'let loose' and partied hard. Nope. Adultness and responsibility slaps ya in the face. But then again, you get a chance to breathe, nap during the weekdays and eat candy whenever you want....

Hey @Harper . Welcome to our chat! I think that if you feel that you have it all but feel sad about it, it's always good to evaluate what we want out of life and what we value.  Is there anyone that you can chat to about how you've been feeling lately? 

I thought I'd have everything figured out after school and it would be breezy compared to life in high school. I've since figured this assumption is wrong, but for the better too! If you know what you want to do after school, you're free to chase it - it's up to you how you spend your time.

@Harper That can be really tough! Especially getting towards the end of your studies and not having the motivation, kinda feels like you've wasted your time a bit! I went through the same thing and the best thing for me was to just take a break from it all and re-evaluate. Your mental health is the number one priority!

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

@dreamcatcher I think one of the unexpected joys of adulthood is eating candy whenever I feel like it. Noone there to tell me that I can't have dessert before dinner