cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Life After School

The options of what to do with yourself after school finishes can seem endless, what with the possibility of uni, TAFE, work, gap year or a potential quarter-life crisis. Who are some people in your life who could help you to figure out the direction you want to take or help you when you weren’t so sure in the past?

I think I've always been pretty independant about what I want to do, but when it comes to the occasional advice about how to go about it I generally talk to my mum, family friends or friends from uni Smiley Happy

The options of what to do with yourself after school finishes can seem endless, what with the possibility of uni, TAFE, work, gap year or a potential quarter-life crisis. Who are some people in your life who could help you to figure out the direction you want to take or help you when you weren’t so sure in the past?

I never really had any kind of mentor growing up, so I kind of had to work it out on my own, which was pretty tough but it made me a more independent person. It took a lot longer than it needed to, but I think I grew a lot as a person because of it. But mentors are really important to have so now I try to consult some like-minded friends I've made through uni Smiley Very Happy

There's heaps of people that can help wrap your head around all the different paths you can take! These could be a guidance counsellor, careers counsellor, or student admin at uni or TAFE. They could give you more information on what they've got to offer on courses and seeing what you're good at. Friends can also help you figure stuff out too. I think that if they're passionate about something, they may show you what they're up to so that you can experience more. It may not be your thing or it's not something that you're interested in - but I believe that friends can take you on some great adventures Smiley Tongue

@FItzChivalry I've found that my uni friends and I will use each other as sounding boards for our ideas and aspirations

I don't have anyone Smiley Sad but my casemanager is going to help me figure out what I want to do at tafe when I'm ready for it
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@safari93 It's one of the best things I've gotten out of uni to be honest :]

@Myvo I've had a lot of experiences I otherwise wouldn't have because of my friends' interests in them!! And guidance counsellors and such can give good advice, especially about what you can do with what you've achieved so far

@redhead There's still plenty time! Your case manager helping you out at your pace is awesome Smiley Happy

@redhead I know how you feel! Tafe is a great place to meet like-minded people though so I'm sure you'll have a similar experience that I did when I was going through the same thing

A lot of us seem to be pretty independant, but its good to see that most of you seem to have at least one person to talk to about where you're going!

While some of us manage to escape it, a lot of us fall victim to the dreaded quarter-life crisis at some point after we finish school. Is this something you or someone you know have experienced before? How did you/they get through it?